Sunday evening kickback

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reactions: begreen
LOL. I should be more Texan. My great, great grandfather on my father's mother's side was one of the founding characters of El Paso. He eventually married the founder's daughter.

"Son, when you first meet somebody don't ask if they are a Texan. If they are they will tell you. If they aren't there isn't any need to embarrass them."

Is it a weighted canner, or gauge? I always feel like the weighted one is constantly venting, and has a pressure relief valve, so not that big a risk
It's a weighted one. Since I have a glass top stove, my choices were limited as the bigger the get the heavier they get. This is a cheapo Presto 16 qt my hubby bought for me last year on clearance at Walmart. It has been sitting in my kitchen taunting me so I figured, really, is it any more dangerous than my beloved chainsaw?
What I DIDN'T expect is the time it takes to get to pressure, about 30 minutes plus the decompression time, about an hour. Add that to the 90 minute canning time and I'm still processing my last batch of 7 qt jars, 21 total, at 9pm. It was an all day event and I now respect my pressure canner and know that as long as I pay attention to what I'm doing it won't blow up in my face. The butcher called me today, 40# boxes of chicken thighs, $30, may have to can some chicken now too :)

Reactions: Adios Pantalones
You say that like it is a bad thing. ;lol
I have 2 sites I manage in Texas, on in Dallas and one is nearby in Lewisville. I try to plan my trips there during the state fair as that is always a blast.

The site manager is as "Texas" as you can get, born and raised for many generations, proud to be a Texan, picture Sam Elliott looking guy wearing cowboy boots and hat.

When "out of towners" come to visit he makes sure to take them around to the customer correspondence center, usually a quiet bunch of folks in cubicles answering emails and mail inquiries from customers. I wish I had video taped it but you'll have to imagine it.... We walk in, he starts LOUDLY singing "The stars at night - are big and bright...." and EVERYONE at least 50 people in unison literally stand up, clap 3 times and shouts back "Deep in the heart of Texas" and laugh as they sit back down.

I've seen a lot of proud people across this country but there ain't nothing like Texas :)

LOL That is so Texas. OK place to visit, but living there for 2 years was plenty for me. Outside of Austin, I like west Texas better, east not so much. But that was 40 years ago and another lifetime.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.