Super 27 combustion air cover plate.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MDWOOD

Nov 11, 2013
maryland
Having installed our new stove , I didn't remove the cover plate on the rear of the pedestal.
We are not using an outside air kit.
The manual says to remove for room air.
Does this plate "pop" out? or shall i prepare to cut it out.

Also have i been causing some sort of turbulence, i figure i'm just sucking air thru the ash bin door and perhaps the main door

I have been burning for a week.

Bill

Our Super 27 was installed in mid October and we have been burning since then. I just checked ours after viewing this thread and the knockout was not removed. There is a sticker on the knockout indicating it should be removed. I will remove it but am curious as to what effect not removing it has on the operation of the stove?

Thanks

Having installed our new stove , I didn't remove the cover plate on the rear of the pedestal.
We are not using an outside air kit.
Then you are starving the fire. These pedestal versions are made to get air through the pedestal acting as a plenum. Either with an outside air kit (as we have), or the room. If you have outside air, then the pedestal knockout stays, and outside air comes through a 4" duct into the bottom of the pedestal from below, (usually a ventilated crawlspace), unless the outside air is plumbed into the knockout horizontally. If not, room air must come through the removed plate.

I won't hesitate to say that I'm a proponent of OAK in most cases. If you have a tight house, you will notice the difference for sure.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.