Super Cedars: I ordered a box of 30 last August and finally finished...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KaptJaq

Minister of Fire
Jan 31, 2011
Long Island, NY
I ordered a box of 30 Super Cedars last August and finally finished the first one. No, not the box, the first disk. I had cut it up into quarters, then cut some of the quarters in half. Usually we have occasional fires in the fall and have to restart a couple of times a week. This season we started the stove during Hurricane Sandy then kept it going for the Northeaster the following week. Everybody got used to the warm house so we ended up not letting it go out.

I've gotten good with the stove and loading for overnight burns. I'm pretty good at shifting the hot coals from side to side to clean out the ash. The only time the wood stove went out was when we were away for long weekends. The snapdisk has kept the fan going continuously since Halloween. Most of the time the hot coals with a couple of pieces of kindling or small dry splits and we were burning again.

Sorry Northwestern Fuels, you make a great product but I think I've grown out of the need for them...

Do you do shoulder season burns? That's where I find them a real blessing.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I ordered a box last year too and have given away more then I have used. I've found also that an eighth is plenty to start with good kindling. I use split up 2x4's and any cedar I come across. I cut up a puck into eighths and put in a Baggie and start some fires with just the crumbs.

[quote=" Everybody got used to the warm house so we ended up not letting it go out.
..[/quote]

Isn't it amazing how easily we get used to 75. If it drops below 70 except in the bedrooms she's either loading wood or on me to get after it.

For sure last year we used a lot of the super cedars because we were constantly letting the fire go out. This year it is mostly fall use and now we are expecting it to warm so will be using more of them perhaps daily. For sure they make starting the fires go much easier and faster and are super easy to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.