Super pacific insert fit issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Drskeetrix

Dec 21, 2020
Idaho
I have been reading a lot on this forum lately. We purchased a house that had been flipped and someone thought it was a good idea to just remove and trash the existing insert but leave the liner. thus we have a non functional fireplace overall. A friend had a super pacific insert "design D" that he was selling. i checked what i thought were all the important measurements (length, width, height) and looked like a go. now we have the unit at home and are refinishing it. I was getting ready to build a blocker plate after all the info found on here about the benefits and trying to figure where the flu liner was going to land in the plate. got to measuring and it looks like the lintel is 8 1/2" thick but the front most part of the hole on the top of the insert is 7". the problem is we only have a few inches of clearance on top of the stove so i can't work the pipe forward with the lintel in the way.

any thoughts on how to make this work or are we just hosed?

If i'm understanding your description something like this might work.
offset adapter

i was looking through everything that came with the insert and there actually is an offset adapter, unfortunately it adds too much height to the unit so it then wont fit vertically under the lintel either. although the one you sent seems a little smaller than the one that we have. do these affect the draw at all?

Offset boxes can be a pita. Is there enough depth in the fireplace to move the insert back a couple of inches? If so, it could be run without the surround or with a custom, recessed surround.

Reactions: Drskeetrix
Offset boxes can be a pita. Is there enough depth in the fireplace to move the insert back a couple of inches? If so, it could be run without the surround or with a custom, recessed surround.

i think that's the route we are gonna try. looks like it only needs to go back another 1.5 inches to be able to meet the flue pipe. may just have to modify the surround to fix the look of it once it's finished.

Reactions: moresnow
Inset inserts can look really sharp. It's a common solution for thick stone facings and arched openings.

Reactions: Drskeetrix
ill try to let yall know how it turns out. hopefully friday i can get the block-off plate done and installed. it's all gonna be a really tight fit so not super excited about that but will see if it works!

Keep in mind the offset adapter will make it hard to do a bottom up cleaning.

Keep in mind the offset adapter will make it hard to do a bottom up cleaning.

I think if we push it in another 1.5 inches, we won't need the offset adapter! bonus. so now to figure out the surround. i get home from work on friday afternoon and am going to try to get the block-off plate done and insert installed friday night. fingers crossed it all goes well.

Reactions: begreen