Supercedar Fire Starters 30% off!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Yes, especially this year with shoulder season extending into December.

Yes, especially this year with shoulder season extending into December.
Unfortunately that has felt a bit more common in southern New England in the last few years.

Just ordered another box of these. Definitely went through more during this shoulder season then I expected.

Great product. Used them in my outdoor fireplace. Since I have free access to pinecones using that and rest of my LL Bean fatwood in the stove for startups.

We're definitely using less wood so far this winter.

I'm ok with a stretch of cold weather. Some fruit trees will not set buds unless it gets a required cold exposure. And cold knocks off a lot of pesky bugs that attack trees and fruit.

Reactions: NHWS and Hoytman
A good deep freeze will kill off the ticks too. We pulled one off of Gordon just the other day. I won't take him in the woods on the trails until it's been good and cold.

These look interesting. How do they compare to fat wood?
SuperCedars are catalyst friendly. Fatwood is smoky, which may not be good for cats. Also, they can be cut down into 1/4s or 1/8s if one has good dry wood and kindling.

A good deep freeze will kill off the ticks too. We pulled one off of Gordon just the other day. I won't take him in the woods on the trails until it's been good and cold.
We had -36F here last year for about 8 hours and it was -15F for three days and it never killed any mosquitoes and ticks.

SuperCedars are catalyst friendly. Fatwood is smoky, which may not be good for cats. Also, they can be cut down into 1/4s or 1/8s if one has good dry wood and kindling.
Good information.

I wonder if the 30% off will last between Christmas and New Years?

Yes. Thomas has offered a healthy discount to Hearth.com folk for years.

Reactions: Hoytman
I'll have to grab some. Anything that makes fire will have my vote. I've used fat for years for anything I wanted on fire, it is to easy but I can learn new tricks.

Never used fatwood. I've still got a handful of Duralogs from decades ago that I've been cutting into firestarter size pieces, but I've also bought some SuperCedars. The SuperCedars are easier to start and work as well or better. Didn't know that they are considered fully cat-friendly, though. Once the last of the Duralogs is gone, I expect I'll stick with the SCs.

Never used fatwood. I've still got a handful of Duralogs from decades ago that I've been cutting into firestarter size pieces, but I've also bought some SuperCedars. The SuperCedars are easier to start and work as well or better. Didn't know that they are considered fully cat-friendly, though. Once the last of the Duralogs is gone, I expect I'll stick with the SCs.
Family made, locally.

I like Super Cedars they do their job very well for cheap and I like supporting family businesses but I use fatwood simply because it's neater. Even quartering the pucks in their wrapper I still ended up making a damn mess and it aggravates me to no end. Wood heat is messy enough as it is. My wife bought me a nice fatwood storage box that looks good next to the hearth and it's easy to use. The one caveat to fatwood is you need a good source, it's not all created equal. A bad batch is useless.

That said if a box of Supers ended up on my doorstep I wouldn't complain 😉. It's great for outdoor used too like the charcoal grill or fire pit.

I use a utility knife to cut them into pie slices while in the wrapper but not all the way through. That contains the crumbs which I later use for starter. BrotherBart used to call it pixie dust.

Firestarters like SCs are used when the stove is cold, or at least no more than slightly warm. I hold the firestarter inside the stove to break it and don't worry about the crumbs.

These are great, I don't even scrounge for kindling anymore, just a few small splits and these git 'r done!