Superior Fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

danho

Feb 3, 2012
Southern, OR.
Can anyone tell me about this fireplace? I took some pictures to my local retailer and was told that it is a wood burning fireplace that has a propane gas igniter option. The igniter is not there, just a 90 degree gas pipe elbow in the corner. This is a new home to us and the previous owner said that it was never used. It is clean and unused, even the chimney.
There is mention of gas logs on the tag (no gas log set in the fireplace) and I want to make sure that this is indeed a wood burning stove, or gas, before I get any flame near it. I am looking to replace the whole unit next summer, but wanted to get some additional heat this winter if I could.

Any insight is appreciated.

Attachments

• Fireplace Tag.jpg
    Fireplace Tag.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 222
  • Fireplace Pipe Inside.jpg
    Fireplace Pipe Inside.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 135
Where's the gas shut-off for this? In the basement?
Looks to me like it was plumbed for a gas log - INCORRECTLY.
In the picture with the 90 Degree BIP elbow, there is a circular
knock out in the refractory side panel. That's SPECIFICALLY there
for gas line. To use this for wood, I would cut the gas line AFTER
the shut-off, remove it from the firebox & plug the hole with refractory cement.
Then you'd be able to burn wood.
Unfortunately, you're not gonna get heat out of this unit, only WARMTH.
It'll warm you if you are in front of it, but it'll suck the HEAT
out of your house thru the open flue....Think "campfire" in your living room...
Might not want to waste your $$$ on firewood & put that money towards an EPA - Rated wood burner....

Shut off valve is 2 inches below the fire box in the lower access panel. I wouldn't doubt that it was installed correctly, something doesn't seem right with it. I did show the retailer the pictures and specifically ask him if i could burn wood in it as is? He told me yes and that I only needed to add a wood grate to the inside?

I get the heat/warmth "issue", no argument there. I am looking at a Hearthstone Homestead hearth mount to replace, or any other ideas you all may have. I got one bid from another retailer to replace everything (after I remove what is there) with a zero clearance insert for around 10k which is why I'm taking my time to decide.