Superior Heatform Metal firebox with hairline Cracks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Should I have any concerns about doing this? Will heat buildup between the two sheets of metal?

• 1. This is fine, should be no problem.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2. No do not do this it could cause serious issues.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Rasmith0157

Aug 25, 2023
I have a Superior Wood burning Fireplace. It is basically a metal firebox with circulation fans set in a full masonry fireplace. It is 30 years old and has several hairline cracks in the back wall. I finally found someone willing to weld a steel plate across the 27"X15" back wall where the cracks are. Should I have any concerns about doing this? Will heat buildup between the two sheets of metal and cause any issues?

Several cracks sounds like multiple weak spots. After having the plate welded on, the plate will be tugging at new areas, possibly/probably creating new cracks. 30 years is more than enough time for metal fatigue to show it's ugly face. I'd replace the unit.

Yes welding plates on could work. But it only addresses the visible areas chances are the smoke shelf is compromised as well. It's probably time for a change. Either a new masonry box or an insert