Supersplit splitter. HD or J model?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
Decided to get Supersplit. Don't want to cheap out. Thinking HD or J.
Most of the wood I split is oak, ash, beach. Occasionally with knots. Diameter around. 18 inches.
What would you advise?
Wood I want to split with it in a picture.

Attachments

• 43B6CE10-331B-4BDE-B889-468C1FB7A6AD.jpeg
    43B6CE10-331B-4BDE-B889-468C1FB7A6AD.jpeg
    289.8 KB · Views: 198
  • 5EB1FF45-082E-41EA-AC67-678FDB5B72DC.jpeg
    5EB1FF45-082E-41EA-AC67-678FDB5B72DC.jpeg
    282.2 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:
Reactions: DodgyNomad
J model is all you’ll ever need...
Do yourself a favor and give them a call, talk to Paul, tell em what your planning to do with it, he’ll tell ya what model you should go with..

I borrowed a friend's years ago, base model with table added. It worked great and split most anything offered to it.

Eventually I ordered my own and decided on the HD because I intended to keep and use it for years and years and the price difference seemed small enough to just go for the top of the line model. Still no regrets about that.

Actually ordered mine without an engine and mounted a used Kubota diesel I already had, that too has been great. I like the low engine mount much better than the high, a little more stable though I haven't tipped mine or the original design over. Only regret about the engine conversion is the $ I saved buying it without an engine wasn't very much, pretty sure I could have sold the new engine locally and come out further ahead.

The Super Splitter will split about anything and cut through most of those that won't split. Occasionally though you'll find a piece full of knots or otherwise more difficult to deal with than it's worth, but not very often.

To keep the splitter busy with no down time takes about 4 people. One running the chain saw, one on the splitter, one helping feed splitter, and one or two stacking if you're not just making a pile where they fall. Adds up to a whole lot of split wood in a day. Obviously you can run it with one person, but the point is the splitter won't be the slow point as with the typical hydraulic splitters.

Only negative qualities is the thing is difficult to transport. Even if you don't intend to take it anywhere chances are you will at some point if you have friends who burn firewood. Hard to load in the back of a truck safely and they lack good tie down points. If you had a low trailer with a wide ramp like for lawn mowers that helps. Otherwise I use forklift and slings to load it in the back of a truck. Also welded on some rings under the table to help with strapping it down.

Attachments

• IMG_20140310_184958_290.jpg
    IMG_20140310_184958_290.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 898
Great insight. I went with the J model. I have hydraulic as well to do the knots. Hopefully not that often . I burn 5 cords a year. Now I’m thinking about upgrading to HD. I think I still can do it . The wait line is huge . They say it’ll take 8 weeks. I’ve ordered it 3 weeks ago.

Grigg, what do you do when you get a large round?

Put it on the splitter and split it I guess?
Even if it doesn't split in half at first you can nibble around the edges taking out firewood size pieces until it's all split and done.
I haven't run across anything yet I couldn't get up on the table either using another round set on end beside the splitter as an intermediate step or a piece of lumber as a ramp, or roll it off the tailgate onto the splitter.

Well you have posed a question where if you get the J model, which I own, and it doesn't split on the first bang you will wonder if you should have gotten the HD.

Multiple whacks will be needed on tough wood with either model.

I first ran the J model and had absolutely no complaints.
Now running the HD which also works great.
I believe the HD does a slightly better job with the larger flywheels but hard to say how much better. I don't think it'd be worth selling one to get the other.

Reactions: Old Red and Dmitry