Surge protector?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hockeyfun1

Mar 12, 2014
Rochester, NY
What is a good surge protector to use on my pellet stove insert which is an Ashby St Croix? I guess it would have to handle some heat since the plug is next to the stove, which are both inside the former fireplace. Or should I spend $200 on a good UPS this way I at least get a couple minutes in the event of a brown out? My electric has never gone out in the 6.5 years I've lived here but you never know.

A decent UPS can be had from Sams club for around $150 and Newegg has a sale on them frequently for $100 -130
I got the ones on my stoves on the clearance rack at Sams for $100
APS 1350. Nice LCD panel to show voltages, watts, time of use at present power use, events,

Is it safe to let the battery backup that close to the stove with the heat? There's times sitting in front of the stove is unbearable since it can get my living room to 85F.

The back area of the stove should be cool, then the UPS should be good. Depends on how much you want to spend or the display it has. A UPS will protect it against almost anything but a lighting strike.

According to APC the environmental top range is 104F

What are the likely temperatures that surround the stove on the sides and back? If I shoot an IR thermometer or whatever it is at the front of the stove, it's in the hundreds of degrees.

Not sure about your model of stove, but certain ones supposedly need a pure sine wave if you're using a UPS or an inverter. Just something you might have to look out for.

Distance is your friend and lower the better as heat rises. The UPS usually has 6 ft of cord
Your stove is not a hot bodied stove like a Harman is it? So the main heat is out the front

I've never used a UPS or even surge protector on my stove. It stays plugged only in winter months and is unplugged well before T-storm season. When the power goes off, the stove stops, the fire dies down .... but if the power is returned before the burn pot grows cold, it picks up again.

I've never used a UPS or even surge protector on my stove. It stays plugged only in winter months and is unplugged well before T-storm season. When the power goes off, the stove stops, the fire dies down .... but if the power is returned before the burn pot grows cold, it picks up again.
Well, a series of brown outs in a winter of really heavy wet snow with wind took out my surge protector but not the board in my stove. Once the board is fried is not the time to wonder if maybe you should have had a surge protector after all, especially when some of these boards cost $300 or more. Never mind motor damage and such.

Reactions: tbear853
Well, a series of brown outs in a winter ... etc ... motor damage and such.

Oh, I was not saying they aren't needed or anything .... just never considered needing one until I started seeing mention of them here. Will be looking at them today as I look around in Roanoke at NorthWest Hardware.

I have had two thunder storms this winter

We have lived here for over 40 years. Our house is at the end of the line coming from the west and then there is a transformer that feeds a few more places, including a professional building and small medical center. That transformer has sizzled to death once, been replaced and that one blew up a few years ago. In a few years it will blow again. The one down in the intersection before our house has blown too ( this a New England coastal town, the environment is not too friendly to above ground wiring). Suffice it to say that our power just isn't really stable here.

My electrician complains about the power from our REA and he is on a different sub station. We had a power out repair early this month and it seems to have helped some.

My UPS has a display which counts the number of power faults it detects. In a year, it was up over 180.

Some UPSes have better surge protector specs than others. Don't assume they're all the same. Also, some stoves want Pure Sine waveforms to continue running until you shut it down safely, while others, want a stepped waveform, because their stove then knows to begin a shutdown, like the Harmans. Know what your stove wants before you buy.

My UPS shows that I am getting over 20 faults a day. APC so that Harman can detect the modified sine wave and shut down if I use the newer board. Cyberpower I see has the Pure Sine

Wow and I thought my power was unstable LOL !

IMO I would use both. A protector, then UPS. UPSs aren't really designed to be surge protectors, or at least I don't think the ones I've used were. A good surge like when the power comes back on can do bad things. I lost a computer mother board & power supply once, when the power came back on. The computer was plugged into a UPS. The UPS is still going so it didn't kill that, but seems a surge just went right through it. Nowadays I unplug the UPS after the power goes out, plug it back in after it comes back. If I'm home, that is.

All outlets on my APC NS 1350 are surge protected. Now reading the online manual I see I can reset the sensitivity of the fault detection.
$350000 for protection of connected items for surge including lightning. I am stuck in the middle of a couple treeless sections at the edge of the Red River Valley and get hit often. I have went and provided a separate ground to the outlets that provide power to the stoves and AV equipment. Maple tree got wacked 30 foot from house last spring and torched the well pump wires not the pump($$$$) but house items were good

I just use a surge protector, when the power goes out the stove goes out. But my venting runs 26 ft vertical, so natural drafting isn't a problem at all. And I use a generator that runs the house boiler in power outages.

I have a Tripp-Lite Isobar Ultra surge suppressor with four receptacles. My Harman P61A is the only thing plugged into it and it's about two feet away directly behind the stove....I think I paid $50 maybe $75 bucks for it. Well worth it in my opinion given the cost of a control board and replacement motors.....

I was told by a veteran IT guy to run 2 surge suppressors. A cheaper one ( read sacrificial ) @ the outlet and a better one @ the unit. Has worked multiple times. Have moved out of the city into farm country and run a surge suppressor or 2 on everything. Makes me feel better. ;)

So, when I searched to replace 3 APC units which all died within the same month, even though they were all purchased in different years, I learned that the surge specs were not always in the same ballpark for various UPS manufacturers. My dedicated surge-only protectors were all 1500 joules or more. The APC UPSes that had surge protection that I owned were all in the 300 joule range. Just looked now and the APC BR1500G is only 350 joules. The APC NS 700VA which I had on my computer is 340 joules, and says "5% IEEE surge let-through". That didn't sound good to me if it lets 5% through, plus they handled a fraction of the surge that a dedicated surge protector does. The CyberPower units I replaced them with all were 1500 joules which was comparable to the dedicated surge protectors I owned, so I replaced the dead APCs with CyberPowers.

Plus, I have a whole house surge protector on my main panel.