Surprising? restults from the wood stacks.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cross Cut Saw

Feeling the Heat
Mar 25, 2012
Boulder, CO
So after the debacle of trying to buy "kiln dried" wood in Maine (no one will deliver since I told them I refused a delivery after finding a moisture content in the mid 20's but that's another story) I've had to bust into the wood that was delivered green in June. The wood was delivered June 1st, and we got 9" (yes, 9"!) of rain over the following 5 days before I could stack it.

So I've taken my moisture meter to lots of random fresh splits with surprising results!
Nothing is over 21% moisture including all of the oak.

The vast majority of the wood is at about 17/18% WAY better than I expected it to be, and it is burning fine, just a little slower than the seasoned stuff I paid $50 more for.

The readings made me skeptical of the moisture meter so I tested the silver maple I split 2 weeks ago that had been bucked up in September and a fresh split on that wood read 28%.

Now I'm pretty glad I didn't get that delivery of "kiln dried" as it would have really been a waste of money at $110 more per cord than I can get green.

Oh, the moisture meter said most of the fresh splits of the "kiln dried" were at 23/24%!!

I found a local guy that will deliver full cords of green Ash for $190 which is darn good for this area...

What kind of moisture readings are you guys getting on 2 year old splits?

-Joe

We had a couple of Ash trees taken down after the last big storm....think it was Irene.....split and stacked a few months ago....the trees weren't the healtiest....on a fresh split 22%, we let it sit next to the stove for a couple of hours, and it's actually burning better than I thought, which is good, we need this to get thru this season, then we'll be fine with the supply for the next 3 years

Status
Not open for further replies.