Surround options for insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

3dogsrule

Hearth Supporter
Oct 14, 2009
central Arkansas
Ok, pretty much decided on the Lopi Republic insert in my Heatilator. Now, I'm partly worn down by how painstaking this whole decision-making process has been, but I really would like to have a pretty surround, I'm not terribly fond of the metal black surround. Do I have any options? What I'd like to do is tile right up to the stove. There's going to be slightly over 12" around the stove that will be Heatilator grill or metal sides. (Picture of existing is attached, that ugly wood trim is coming off.) I had thought about somehow attaching the thinnest concrete board I could to the area and tiling over that; heat-wise would that be acceptable?

Or should I just put the metal surround up and tile up against that (and then probably put up some wood trim and a mantle)?

Karen

Attachments

• KM2.jpg
    KM2.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 507
I don't see why you couldn't make your own surround (tile?), but you have to make sure it's removable. If doing tile, it will need to be very rigid so you don't crack the tile/grout, but that also means it could get bulky and heavy. It obviously would have to be made out of something completely non-combustible, but you knew that.

BTW, only one new thread on your new insert today??? I'm disappointed Karen!

I know, I've actually been WORKING at work today! Ok, "has" to be removable...why? With the bypass damper thingie the Republic has I'm not supposed to have to pull the insert out to clean the pipe. Something else I don't know about (like that'd shock me!)?

Karen

[knock knock knock] Yoo hoo! Anybody home? Wet1? I'll be ordering the insert on Monday so I'm trying to figure out if I need to order the surround too (feeling like I probably will hafta)...

Karen

Removal is usually always preferred to the options of demolition and rebuild,,in case Murphys Law shows its face. That said, a blacksmith could "Hammer" most any sheet metal to achieve an antique or cast look, with effective results. Seen some great pictures here on the forum,,FWIW

My inclination would be to go with the surround that's designed to work with the insert. Perhaps you could paint it something other than black with high-temp paint. Pity Lopi doesn't offer brass or nickel trim for the surround.

ml said:
Removal is usually always preferred to the options of demolition and rebuild,,in case Murphys Law shows its face. That said, a blacksmith could "Hammer" most any sheet metal to achieve an antique or cast look, with effective results. Seen some great pictures here on the forum,,FWIW

Or how about using some flat tin ceiling molding to make your own original surround....

http://www.americantinceilings.com/flatMolding.html

(yes, I do have a tin ceiling fetish)

I didn't care for the size or look a the black surround that came with my stove so I made a Marble surround using some pieces salvage from a 100 year old bank building. One large thick piece across the top and two smaller side pieces that are easily removed if needed.

(I think you wanted to know this...)
On the QF 4100, they offer a surround with cast iron trim. Looks real nice. I have it.
But...it is heavy enough to require 2 men to lift it over the stove.

They also seem to offer the sheet steel without the iron. If I had a choice, I would like that one. Look at JerryNJ's avatar...he has that one. (Hope I got his name right). Then take your pick.

Hope this post was germain to your questions.

3dogsrule said:
Chargerman, how are the pieces supported? Got pix? Sounds intriguing!

Karen

I have a stove insert that extends onto the hearth and there is a lip around the side of the stove. I simply notched the side pieces which "lock" in place and then place the heavy top piece directly on the stove. The pieces of marble I have are "custom" from the building they came out of and probably would not be readily available. From reading your post it appears your insert is nearly flush with the wall. Another possible thought might be a granite or quartz countertop supplier that could customize something removable for you out of remnants.($$$$ possibly though)

szmaine said:
ml said:

Or how about using some flat tin ceiling molding to make your own original surround....

http://www.americantinceilings.com/flatMolding.html

(yes, I do have a tin ceiling fetish)[/quote

And so does my wife. thanks for the idea,,someday i may make my own and there r some nice panels out there!!

Status
Not open for further replies.