SURVEY RESULTS: What are the best pellets you burned within the last year?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stentor

Apr 3, 2009
North of Boston, Mass
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/41459/

16 Lignetics
9 Rocky Mountain
8 Okanagan
6 Barefoot
4 Turman's
3 NEWP
3 LGs
3 Somerset
3 Uncle Jed's
3 O'Malley
3 Hammer
2 Stove Chow
2 Golden Fire
2 Eagle Valley
2 Energex
2 Stove Chow
2 Pro Pellet

1 Country Boy
1 Green Team Premium
1 Dragon Mountain
1 Green Supreme
1 Warm Fronts
1 Cubex
1 Dry Creek
1 Pennington
1 Statesman Hardwood Heat
1 Wood Pellets, Inc.
1 Blazer
1 Forest's Pride
1 Eureka
1 Nature's Heat
1 Freedom Fuel
1 Fireside Ultra
1 Blazer
1 Eastern Embers
1 Spruce Pointe

Nice job Stentor.

We need an award for the winner!

How is the worst comming along.

BTU has dubbed the winner of that the MUSHY!( I like it)

Thanks for all the effort!
jay

Thanks for your replies. My interpretation is that the results are interesting but not to be taken too seriously. They're fun, though! :)

a. This is a very limited sample. The number of replies probably isn't a good cross section of pellet stove users.
b. I probably made some errors in counting answers, either a simple math mistake or mixing up pellet brand names.
c. Survey results are skewed to the Northeast. For example, there were only a few replies from Oregon and Michigan or Canada.
d. Pellets are regional products. Or at least the packaging is regional, whatever is in the bags.
e. Lignetics was the surprise to me. I've used them and thought they were good pellets, but I wonder if they got votes because they are widely available?

jtakeman said:
Nice job Stentor.

jay

Good thought. The winning pellet should be opposite to the MUSHY. How do we get "HARD" in the prize? :)

Stentor said:
jtakeman said:
Nice job Stentor.

jay

Good thought. The winning pellet should be opposite to the MUSHY. How do we get "HARD" in the prize? :)

Hmmm! But some of those ligs could have been softwoods. But I do like the Hard. What is another neat word for hard?

Main Entry: hard
Definition: rocklike
Synonyms: adamantine, callous, compact, compacted, compressed, concentrated, consolidated, dense, firm, hardened, impenetrable, indurate, indurated, inflexible, iron, packed, rigid, rocky, set, solid, stiff, stony, strong, thick, tough, unyielding

One of these maybe?
jay

I don't think BTU is going to believe that the Lig's beat out his beloved Okies by 2 to 1. :lol:

BTU said:
macman said:
I don't think BTU is going to believe that the Lig's beat out his beloved Okies by 2 to 1. :lol:

Macman, considering that Lignetics have been around for about 20 years in the NE and are in WAY more dealers than we are, I was actually pretty happy to see that we finished in the top 5 since we really have only been marketing our brand for two years in NE...I think we finished pretty well....

It was interesting to see that the West Coast wasn't really that well represented, since there really are some awesome pellets that come out of WA and OR...but this is mostly a North East crowd in here for the most part...but there certainly are votes all over the board to who people felt were there favs....

Seems obvious to me, that, in the interest of science, pellet producers in the Northwest need to make a better effort to market their product in the East. I can't buy, burn, and vote for something nobody sells around here.

BTU said:
....considering that Lignetics have been around for about 20 years in the NE and are in WAY more dealers than we are, I was actually pretty happy to see that we finished in the top 5 since we really have only been marketing our brand for two years in NE...I think we finished pretty well....

It was interesting to see that the West Coast wasn't really that well represented, since there really are some awesome pellets that come out of WA and OR...but this is mostly a North East crowd in here for the most part...but there certainly are votes all over the board to who people felt were there favs....

Yep, I agree....the Okies did very well for only 2 years in the NE.

Funny how we don't get that many west or northwest members on this forum.....wonder why?

hossthehermit said:
BTU said:
macman said:

Macman, considering that Lignetics have been around for about 20 years in the NE and are in WAY more dealers than we are, I was actually pretty happy to see that we finished in the top 5 since we really have only been marketing our brand for two years in NE...I think we finished pretty well....

Seems obvious to me, that, in the interest of science, pellet producers in the Northwest need to make a better effort to market their product in the East. I can't buy, burn, and vote for something nobody sells around here.

I think the freight fees are one issue. Another may be market litigation's. Also in my area everyone prefers hardwood pellets. I was one of them. Them during a pellet shortage Agway had a Douglas fur pellet(name forgotten) and Wallyworld had some Eurekas. Without that shortage I would still be a strict hardwood burner!

There is a Dealer near me that had to dump his softwood pellets becuase there sales were low. I don't think he has stocked any since!

jay

macman said:
BTU said:
....considering that Lignetics have been around for about 20 years in the NE and are in WAY more dealers than we are, I was actually pretty happy to see that we finished in the top 5 since we really have only been marketing our brand for two years in NE...I think we finished pretty well....

Yep, I agree....the Okies did very well for only 2 years in the NE.

Funny how we don't get that many west or northwest members on this forum.....wonder why?

@2 years and already in third, Not to shabby!

The only way for this to work is everyone who voted would have had to used every pellet listed. I doubt this was the case.If a voter only used 2-4 brands then this vote is flawed.

investor7952 said:
The only way for this to work is everyone who voted would have had to used every pellet listed. I doubt this was the case. If a voter only used 2-4 brands then this vote is flawed.

I think I wasn't clear enough. I did not represent the results as scientific or as statistically valid. The limits are obvious. To recapitulate:

1. The universe of possible respondents is small and can be defined as at most all the registered members of hearth.com.
2. The web site universe as a whole does not demonstrably correspond to or reliably mirror the whole set of individual pellet stove users even in the Northeast.
3. All responses were self-reported, i.e., members of this forum volunteered their answers instead of being polled for their answers.
4. Respondents could see all pellets previously listed before they put in their own preferences. (This may influence an individual's answers.)
5. Outlier answers were not flagged. For example, two votes from Oregon were weighted the same as two votes from New York or elsewhere in the Northeast.
6. Actual content of answers is suspect. For instance, pellets in Bag A may or may not be the same as the contents of Bag B, regardless of the name on the bag. Like most voters, I can't tell.

This survey was just for fun. If you find it entertaining, great. If it reminds you of the variety of pellets out there, that's OK too. But no reasonable person would spend more than a thousand dollars to buy a season's worth of pellets based primarily or even in large part on the results of this casual set of unrefereed anonymous replies on a web site open to the general public.

Just have some fun! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.