Sustainable Pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

econerd

Sep 20, 2021
Massachusetts
Purchased a Ravelli RV80 last year to use in place of my oil furnace, but now we have upgraded to an electric HVAC system since to replace the oil furnace to go with our solar panels to be eco-friendly as possible.

That being said, we want to keep using the stove since nothing beats a fire roasted you out of the house in a New England winter, but was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for sustainable pellets? I am thinking I probably should have purchased a wood stove initially since I could use the recycled synthetic logs, but am hoping there is something parallel for a pellet stove.....

Any help would be appreciated!

Probably not in your area, but this is what I burn. Made from wood waste products as opposed to the virgin timber that some pellet producers use. So I would consider something like this more eco friendly or sustainable.

I think most non commercial pellets are pretty sustainable. We bought a pallet one year that was made from beetle killed pine. Others are scrap waist. I’m sure other are made from trees harvested for the sole purpose of making pellets. All are probably more sustainable than fossil fuel. Conservation is better than sustainable. A 20-30 bags a year is absolutely nothing compared to the vast clear cuts that are happening here in Carolinas to be exported as pellets over seas.
Just my thoughts

Evan

• Sad
Reactions: SpaceBus
I guess it depends on what your definition of sustainable is. We have 4 mills within 5hrs of me that produce softwood pellets, all of these are produced from the waste by-products of lumber production, from low value residues that mills have struggled for years to find a use for. Our forests are well managed and are under lower pressure from logging than many other parts of the continent, but none of the below pellets are recycled material as such, just a value added product created from sawmill waste.

Spruce-Pointe: Vanderwell Sawmills, Slave Lake Alberta
LaCrete: LaCrete Sawmills, LaCrete Alberta
Surefire: Foothills Forest Products, Grande Cache Alberta
North Country: Manning Forest Products (West Fraser), Manning Alberta

Generally these are considering to be some of the highest quality pellets available, but for the OP the energy required for transportation halfway across the continent may be a concern.

Thank you all! You're responses helped me narrow down pellet options more and I am finding some that aren't just made from virgin timber but instead sawmill residues.

Cheers!

Cubix pellets are made from waste products of a flooring factory.
This is value-added and keeps it out of landfills. Mite call it the definition of green