SUV Tires

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

walhondingnashua

Minister of Fire
Jul 23, 2016
ohio
Thought this would be the perfect place for this question...
My wife's 2021 Grand Cherokee L is on its 6th replacement tire for broken belts and stone punctures. Even though she is not a good driver and is bad about missing pot holes, I cannot entirely blame her. I actually just broke a belt on BF Goodrich Advantages on my truck. We live on a gravel road and the OEM tires are just not rated for gravel like that. The township has also started using a new limestone shipped in from up north. It's very hard and does not break down easily, but has also caused a lot of tires damage on our road.
I know what I am going to put on my truck, but I am looking for advice for the SUV. It is lower profile style tires and not sure what is out there in a higher ply rating. Thanks in advance.

Get rid of the low profile tires, likely going to need smaller rims to do so.

You could try Good Year Wranglers, we run them on our work trucks in the oil patch with reasonable success.

Reactions: sloeffle and EbS-P
If the road is rough and your wife likes to hit the holes, I’d look for more sidewall to absorb the blows. You may need to look at changing tire width and rim size to get added sidewall. Lots of work has been done with this for snow tires. Tire rack had kits available for a very agreeable price for my wife’s car.

Tire manufacturers publish lots of information about tires. If you deep dive into it you’ll find a lot of info. Then cross referencing it with reviews on the tire. I had to do this after I realized my employees buying tires off of knobyness vs actual performance. Once I took control over that I was able to get much better/safer tires at a much better cost.

We only run 10 ply, light truck, A/T tires here. Lots of gravel roads, and nothing else holds up. I’ve been a fan of the Bridgestone Dueller Revo, but you have to make sure you get the right ones, as there are a lot of different types.

I did not know the dueller came in a 10 ply. My tire shop didn't give me that option. I hate going somewhere else because they have always been good to me and are close.

What size??

I did not know the dueller came in a 10 ply. My tire shop didn't give me that option. I hate going somewhere else because they have always been good to me and are close.
LT265/70/17
I didn’t check if they have them in 20”. But like was mentioned, your tire store should be able to order them in if they deal in Bridgestones.
And again, as I mentioned earlier, they make quite a few different kinds of Deuler Revos, so you have to be sure to ask for the right ones.

Get rid of the low profile tires, likely going to need smaller rims to do so.

You could try Good Year Wranglers, we run them on our work trucks in the oil patch with reasonable success.

I partially rescind this recommendation, wife's Colorado had Goodyear Wranglers Duratracs, went to swap the winters off last week and one tire has 2 blisters on the inner sidewall. Tire is pooched, 35,000km and 50% tread life left and I'm buying a $1200 set to replace these.

Have a set of Nokian Outpost AT's coming to replace these.

This is what I use on the truck and I just put a set on the wife's Jeep
DEFENDER® LTX™ MS™ By Michelin
I have used Defender since they came out 3th. set and the truck is just over 550,000 K
Never ever had a problem and got over 160000K on each set

Pothole damage?

No, looks like a defect from the factory, like the inner rubber liner didn't bond to the belting correctly. No exterior damage and the spots are almost 180 degrees apart.

Searching the Chevy Colorado forums these tires are know to have issues, even the local Goodyear shop said they have issue with the factory installs on these tires.