SWAG on firewood to stockpile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AndrewU

Burning Hunk
Dec 1, 2019
Sedro-Woolley WA
I know, it depends. And very few people complain about having too much firewood stockpiled. But for an Ashford 30, not a sole heat source, with alder and birch as the majority of the wood available, and the fairly mild PNW winters, how big of a woodshed do I really need to build?

It seems the consensus from my thread in the woodshed forum is that alder just needs to be split and stacked by early spring to be consistently <20% by fall, with birch and maple needing an extra year. So I will only need to be 1 year ahead to ensure dry enough wood, rather than than the 3+ years you oak/ash/hedge burners need.

But, I need a SWAG on the likely 1 year's supply quantity. If 1 cord per year I'd only need 2 cords of storage. 3 cords per year (I highly doubt that much is needed) then I'd need 6 cords of storage.

I'm kind of thinking that 3 cords storage, so 1.5 cords annual consumption, might be good to start with. But what says the hive? I'm ok if it winds up being a 2.5-3 year supply when full. I just would rather not have to build another smaller shed to get that full 2 years worth under cover. At the same time I don't want to have so much stockpiled that the wood starts rotting before I can burn it.

Id do a size for three years worth and if it is under cover it wont rot.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlbergSteve
My guess is that most people around here average 3 cords a year if it's their primary heat source.
If you put fresh cut wood right into a shed, expect it to take longer to dry. Alder can be ready in 6 months, but not if it's stacked 4 or 5 rows deep in a shed.

We usually burn about 2.5 cords of wood a year. The woodshed holds 3 cords. On one side I have my annual wood supply and on the other my hardwood stash for the extra cold weather. It dries outside the shed stacked on pallets for first year or two. In our climate if you can get doug fir split and stacked and in the shed in March or April, it will start being ready to burn in late October. We stack it right in the open-sided shed, 5 rows deep.

My guess is that most people around here average 3 cords a year if it's their primary heat source.
If you put fresh cut wood right into a shed, expect it to take longer to dry. Alder can be ready in 6 months, but not if it's stacked 4 or 5 rows deep in a shed.
I agree that sheltered wood will often take longer to season.

What is your average amount burnt?
Keep 3 years worth undercover
Say you burn 2 cord a year
Replace the burnt cords every year
to keep you at 3 years worth
I burn average 6 cord a year
I keep 2 cord over in case of a bad year
I cut, split and stack 10 cord a year
And give 2 cord away to the needy
leaving me 8 for the third year
Been this way for 40 years. I think this
year is the last now in my 70es and
the body just can't take it anymore.

I haven't burned a wood stove since I lived in New Zealand for a year 25+ years ago. So I have no idea how much wood I'll need. Even if I could remember how much my host family went through between the different climate, wood species available, size of space being heated, house insulation, and stove technology it wouldn't really apply.

How much square footage are you trying to heat? I'm heating 2400 sf in central Mass, as the primary heat source, and using about 4-5 cords.

You said you are not using it as your sole heat source, but how often do you see your self burning? Will it be your primary heat source, or do you see yourself just burning nights? Weekends?

I think we can at least say that you will be under 4 cord per year to start.

If you answer these questions we can narrow it down further.

2500sf or so on main floor. Pretty tight and well insulated house.

Probably running it more or less all the time from December thru February. October and April only occasionally. November and March probably half the time. Heat pump will be run when not burning wood.

I would get 4 cord ready. Im guessing you will probably use around 3.....thats a blind eye guess. @begreen would know better. He is fairly near that area. At least that way you will be prepared if you under estimated or had a real nasty winter and the first year will point you in the direction for how much to put back every year.

I agree that sheltered wood will often take longer to season.
Depends on the species of wood and the climate. The OP does not get much rain during the summer. Humidity remains low. Milder climate too.

I would plan on burning 3 cord per year based on what you've said.