Swapped out door gasket today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

zmender

Feeling the Heat
Dec 27, 2021
CT
Pretty mild day here at CT and I swapped out the door gasket on VC Montiplier.

WOW!!! What a difference it made.

1. The secondary burn looks absolutely freaking crazy! I have 7 pieces of biobricks in there and it's just blue flames dancing in the middle of fire box.
2. The air control actually does something now. If I'm lighting the fire and all the way to the right, the fire actually dies. Right now it's about 25% open with 7 biobricks, some red glowing on the bottom but for the most part it's just the crazy blue flames dancing out of no where.
3. This fire is FREAKING HOT. Granted it was 40F all day, but just 7 biobricks heating house to 69F is pretty cool, after burning for only 2 hours.
4. Did I say the secondary flame is crazy?

Couple questions for y'all....

1. After replacing the gasket, it's much, much harder to close the door and require a fairly strong push before I can latch it. How can I find the pinch spot?
2. Did I use the wrong sealant? I used the Rutland 500F clear sealant, and afterwards found the Rutland black cement.
3. Not sure if I'm being crazy but there's a stronger smoke smell in house after replacing the gasket?