sweeping a chimney...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mwhitnee

Minister of Fire
Jun 10, 2015
Central Mass, USA
I bought rods and a brush last year and cleaned my chimneys. Thought I did a pretty good job. I'm going to do it again this year.

My question is: What does a chimney sweep do besides use a brush to clean it and clean up the mess? How do they inspect it besides shining a light inside and looking at the inside of the chimney?

Some use a camera to check the flues.
Also if its an open fireplace they will clean the smoke chamber and smoke shelf. And inspect the firebox and chimney crown.

Sweeps also know what to look for in regards to chimney issues and tendencies. Their eyes are also pretty experienced in seeing things that are suspect. Always makes sense to have a chimney guy look at your chimney. Good luck.

It all depends on the setup. I have a metal class a chimney that I put together myself, it doesn't make sense for me to have someone come and sweep it, its very easy for me to do it myself. My parents have a 30ft masonry chimney with a liner, access is absolutely horrible (2 1/2 story colonial, chimney is on the high side of the house) It makes sense for them to have a certified sweep once a year come out and clean / inspect there system.

Reactions: Woody harrelson
Some use a camera to check the flues.
Also if its an open fireplace they will clean the smoke chamber and smoke shelf. And inspect the firebox and chimney crown.

Spent around an hour vacumming around my fireplace damper last year. I went through the damper too. Found a dried up bird while doing it. It was obvious it hadn't been done in ages.

It all depends on the setup. I have a metal class a chimney that I put together myself, it doesn't make sense for me to have someone come and sweep it, its very easy for me to do it myself. My parents have a 30ft masonry chimney with a liner, access is absolutely horrible (2 1/2 story colonial, chimney is on the high side of the house) It makes sense for them to have a certified sweep once a year come out and clean / inspect there system.
X2

Status
Not open for further replies.