Sweeping my liner for the first time with linteater... Question...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CBL

Apr 16, 2013
MA
Just burned my first ton out of my insert and will be tackling the major service. I have a 21.5' liner in my chimney and will be sweeping it with the linteater that everyone recommended. I'll be sweeping from the bottom up (with vac on to get the dust).

My question is do you push the brush past the termination of the liner and into the cap? Not sure if I could run into an issue where the brush would get hung up on the cap and could potentially get stuck? I know the exact length of my liner so I can stop it right before it gets into the cap. Or would I be able to jiggle it out of there? Looking for some insights to avoid running into problems...

I've gone up to the cap but am cautious when I sense I am pushing up the last foot or so. That is, as I approach the end, I don't jam it up so as to detach the cap from the top of the chimney. So, yeah, go all the way. I'm approaching one ton on my P35i so will be doing the same thing this Saturday.

as the instructions advise, use two pliers to well tighten the screw together joints. they also suggest taping them.
i take both those precautions. much better safe than sorry with a section stuck in your flue. : )

Success! Thanks for the support guys. It worked out great! There wasn't as much ash as I thought in the liner and it was suprisingly easy to keep the dust under control (just jammed the vacuum in the port as ran the rods)

Reactions: fmsm
Success! Thanks for the support guys. It worked out great! There wasn't as much ash as I thought in the liner and it was suprisingly easy to keep the dust under control (just jammed the vacuum in the port as ran the rods)
And always remember not to turn the drill to reverse!

Glad it worked out easy for you...

I didn't use the drill, I made about 10 passes twisting it by hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.