Swing Arm For Hearth Cooking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firecracker_77

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
All this historical research on Colonial America and the Franklin / Rittenhouse stoves stokes my interest more in hearth cooking. Anyone know of a free standing swing-arm that could support a cast iron pot. I'm picturing a square metal base or 4 legs as a base, with a metal post about 18 - 24 inches high, and a sturdy metal arm that pivots and can be swung partially inside an open stove.

Is this something that could be fabricated easily enough? Wish I had a friend who was a metal fabricator or welder.

As others have pointed out, it may be easier to get a small camp grill designed to sit up off the coals a few inches and put the cast iron pot onto that. My stove top doesn't get that hot unless you're slow cooking a stew or something all day. I really don't want to risk food stains on my stove top either.

Found these links. Appears to be a purpose built dutch oven.

https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/product1_new.asp?menu=prologic&idProduct=3969

Here's another link for cooking in a stove.

http://www.plowhearth.com/neighborhood/HT_cook_fireplace.asp

I was thinking something in the design of an engine lift but much smaller. Two legs go under the stove, connected to an upright shaft. The arm would be attached to the upright. It would be sturdier than a base plate. Any blacksmiths in your area that you could commission to make one for you? A welder could work one up probably.

Swing Arm For Hearth Cooking

Check out the Jas. Townsend and sons videos on Youtube for colonial cooking. They are presented very well.

I think I'm going to try the dutch oven first and put her directly on the coals. That and a camp grate to lift a cast pan or griddle up off the coals will work nicely. Now granted, my Heritages aren't huge inside, but I still think it's possible to bank the coals after a fire begins to die down and control the temps that way. Having 2 stoves is nice so I can let one die out a little for cooking while my room temps don't have to suffer.

Status
Not open for further replies.