Switch not working - white wire solution?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 23, 2015
Greenville, SC
Hello Everyone - I purchased a foreclosure and have been steadily fixing the loooong list of issues. This week I cleaned under the gas fireplace, above, and behind the glass. I was able to get the pilot lit and a fire started using the mechanics underneath, however, the wall switch is not functional. While cleaning I found a white wire that is NOT connected. Please see the photo. In the back you can see the wire caps with the red wire and what looks to be the frayed edges of the white wire that is not connected. Gas + Electric scared me. Think the white wire belongs screwed in with the red to fix the switch? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sounds like you need an electrician. If the red wire is hot and the white is a neutral you have a short circuit. The breaker or fuse will blow if this is the case and there is proper protection. But if you don't know what you are doing there, get a pro that does.

Are you talking about the white wire on the left of the photo with a smaller red and white wire inside it?
That looks like 18 ga thermostat wire. It also looks like the red and white are twisted together. That is likely the wire from the switch. Test with a multimeter set to ohms. Separate the wire and attach the meter to each. Turn the switch on and off.
Otherwise, I can't really see enough in the photo to help much. Take another showing the gas valve with the wire terminals visible.

If the test that barmstrong suggested doesn't work, pull the wall switch from the switchbox. You should be able see if those t-stat wires running to the fireplace come to that switch.. If they are the same wires, make sure there is no 110v present. There shouldn't be, but you never know. If they aren't hot, remove the wires from the switch & twist the ends together. Set your multimeterfor "Continuity" & touch the probes to the red & white wires under the frieplace. If you have continuity, then the switch is toast. Replace the switch & attach the wires. Under the unit, attach the wires to the valve terminal block at the TH & TH-TP terminals, using spade connectors...

Status
Not open for further replies.