switchgrass pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

squib

Hearth Supporter
Oct 17, 2008
east oh
does anyone know where these can be purchased ??

has anyone tried them & what are your results ??

thanks

Not sure where to buy it, but can I assume you have done your research on burning it in a pellet stove?

Check out this URL for some info: http://bhsenergy.com/grassfuel.htm

Corrosivness will be a concern as well as ash content. You might be able to mix it with some wood pellets but your best bet is with a corn stove or multi-fuel stove that can handle the ash and clinkers from the grass.

codebum,

i have a us 6220 multi fuel furnace. have not heard of anyone burning switchgrass pellets in this area of ohio or anywhere to speak of.

i`ll keep on lookin for them. would like to try a few bags & see how they do.

Ahhh...ok, I wasn't sure what stove you had. There is alot of info and sites on switch grass. Some claim its the fuel of the future. We'll see. It is difficult to locate a seller though. From what I was gathering it might have to be a bulk delivery. Good luck with it!

There is a company in Kansas making a hybrid wood and grass pellet that is running around 1.5% ash and has worked in most stoves. Right now they are just finishing plant construction and beginning production. They are also working with other blends that will produce consistent ash content using renewable ag fibers. Prices I understand are running about 130.00/ton at the plant. Sounds like a pretty good buy considering the year so far.

www.prairiefirecoop.com

Good luck to all

jtakeman said:
Energex has Phoenix Switch Grass Pellets $255 a ton here in CT.

jay

Hopefully they will get to Maine, I'd be interested in trying some, along with wheat, rye, cherry pits, any damn thing else my Revolution will burn. Warmth is GOOD, whatever's cheap is BEST.

jtakeman said:
I hear you hoss,

I'd burn bunny poop if I had to.

jay

Thought about that, but only 2 ways to do it:
1. Keep bunnies , feed 'em , collect poop, dry, burn.
2. Wander around woods picking up 1 poop at a time, bring 'em home,dry, burn
Neither one works for me.

I tried some new bio pellets called canibis weedgrass pellets. Not only do they burn great but the exhaust is to die for. I looked out my window and seen 12 people sitting around the exhaust giggling and eating. Go figure!!!

woodsman23 said:
I tried some new bio pellets called canibis weedgrass pellets. Not only do they burn great but the exhaust is to die for. I looked out my window and seen 12 people sitting around the exhaust giggling and eating. Go figure!!!

LMAO...maybe I need to check the ingredients of my pellets..
My son and his buddies claim they like to "warm their hands" under
the vent cap after sledding out back..hmmm :-/

tinkabranc said:
woodsman23 said:

LMAO...maybe I need to check the ingredients of my pellets..
My son and his buddies claim they like to "warm their hands" under
the vent cap after sledding out back..hmmm :-/

I'll bet they say they did not inhale!!!

Just remember your stove warranty and what the UL rating covers. Burning anything other than what the manual says is an instant void. I hope it works out but have to see what the stove manufacturers say.

Eric

Sorry I forgot to mention what will happen if for some reason you have a fire in your house and they find an unauthorized fuel in or around your stove. What will your insurance company do about your claim. I have seen first hand house fires that were unrelated to the fireplace or stove and it is an instant "out" of your insurance claim because of it. Please watch.

Eric

Do you like the use of red font for danger?

codebum said:
There is alot of info and sites on switch grass. Some claim its the fuel of the future. We'll see.

As for switchgrass being the fuel of the future, I've heard that in regards to ethanol, particularly cellulosic ethanol, but not pellets. Personally, I'm fully behind any fuel that we can grow/mine/drill here in the US AND that'll burn clean. Here in Maine, we still remember what "acid rain" is.

sparkman,

you've been watching the science channel. Haven't you?

I think I watched the same show. Save more corn for food and make the ethenol from switchgrass. Sound's good to me..

jay

Status
Not open for further replies.