Switching from pellet to wood looking for setup advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

roachy20

Nov 21, 2011
Shelton, CT
Hello everyone, I’m currently looking to replace my pellet stove with a wood stove. Looking for some opinions on if you think I can fit a free standing stove inside my fireplace or if I should limit my search to just inserts. Fireplace is on an interior wall, main floor of a two story colonial. Fireplace measures 38” tall x 40” wide and 25” deep with a 16” pad in front. I checked out a regency 3500 but at a height of 36” I’m guessing it’s a bit too tall. I’m looking to use this full time to heat my home, currently the pellet stove I have installed heats my entire house, 1800sq ft. Here’s a current pic of my setup, pellet stove hooked up to a 6” liner. Any thoughts/opinions on what the best setup may be would be great! Thanks .

CBFE6921-67F7-4E7C-A5CF-A87D2EFEEB27.jpeg

That's a good sized fireplace. Take a look at the Pacific Energy Summit. It's 31" tall. It looks like the underside of the mantel should be shielded in this location.

Thanks I’ll take a look at the pacific energy summit, a few dealers near me carry them. Yeah mantle will most likely need a shield, only 11” from the top of the opening to bottom of mantle

so in my search i stumbled on a used Regency 3500 with the blower at a great price ($1000), it was used for dealer demo and to heat their store. Looking at the specs again it is 33" tall in the front and at the flue collar is 36" tall. So with a 38" height in the front of my fireplace will those stove work? I'm thinking I should have enough room to reach in to hook up the stove pipe to the liner. Thoughts?

It'll be snug and you may curse a bit, but it may be possible.

So I’ve been taking my time since I have the pellet stove and oil prices have been low. I came across this summit listed near me. He says he bought it new in May of this year and burned three fires in it, tag on the back says it was manufactured October 2016. Any thoughts on the stove, looks clean?
6C5E404B-A47A-4DC6-B17F-2F235AD15D0B.png31B14E82-190A-438D-A65F-2630BD420870.png0C2F56AC-E609-4E88-9183-78046BADE072.jpeg

That thing looks almost brand new, I'd believe the three fire story (for once), unless the seller got in there and scrubbed the firebrick and steel.. And that's a bit more than half price for that stove.

(Does anyone know what that pot stand thing is in the picture?)