Switzer boilers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gfirkus

Nov 28, 2014
central wisconsin
I haven’t heard anything from the Switzer users lately. I’m on my 2nd year and couldn’t be happier. The thing runs like clockwork. The new electronic controls are awesome. My only modification I made from Gary’s plan was to put a mixing valve from boiler to infeed water supply to house. I think I’d like to add another layer of 1” insulation to the front as there appears to be room for it. Would be nice to hear if there are other mods that have worked.

Good day and Keep your stick on the ice.

2nd year here as well and just like you, loving it. We use it year round for domestic hot water. Haven't done any type of modification to it. Wife was kind of uneasy about it at first but now she loves it too. (Fills her 130 gallon bath tub with scalding hot water with ease) I've been away for work the past month and she keeps it going!

Not quite to a year for me. But used it all summer for DHW. I also added additional insulation to the front and back of the boiler. It helped quite a bit keep the heat inside the boiler. Mine is in my unfinished 2000sq-ft basement. When I first fired it, the basement would stay around 70°F. With the additional front and back insulation and insulating some of the radiant floor piping, the basement now stays around 60°F. I think I could add an additional 2" (4" additional overall), but not sure if I will or not.

I do have to agree that the electronic controls are excellent. My brother has the older controls, and I just love the simplicity of mine much better. Right now in sub-zero weather, I'm burning every other day. Which should put me using about 8 cords this winter.

How is everyone else's wood consumption measuring up?

I’ve gone thru about 2-1/2 cord since oct 1st. During this recent cold snap with low temps 10 to 20 below I can only get about 36 hrs between fires. Did you use the same duct board that was supplied for the extra layers? Where’s the best place to find that stuff?

I'm about on par with gfirkus. I think I went through about 4 cord last winter. This cold spell has my routine all screwed up. Normally I go 2 days easy but the past week its more like 36 hours also. I may also add insulation. I don't mind losing a little heat in the winter as it is also in my basement so the heat isn't really lost, but in the summer it would be nice to contain that heat a little more.

I’ve gone thru about 2-1/2 cord since oct 1st. During this recent cold snap with low temps 10 to 20 below I can only get about 36 hrs between fires. Did you use the same duct board that was supplied for the extra layers? Where’s the best place to find that stuff?

It was pretty much the same duct board. A different brand, but still the same stuff. My father ordered it for me since he has an account at the place. Just got it through a local HVAC company here in town. I think it took 3 sheets 4' x 8'. A little creative cutting and taping and looks like it's supposed to be there.

Wood consumption for me is about where I expected it. Right now we're about half way (3 months) through the heating season (6 months) and I've used about 2 1/2 cords. So another 2 1/2 to get me through until spring puts me at 5 cord for the winter. For both heat and DHW, that's pretty damn good. Over the summer I used about 1 1/2 cord for DHW for 6 months. So all total, less than 8 cord for the year is not much at all! I'm very happy so far.

I've even got the wife bringing wood in when I need it and I'm at work during the day. She's loaded and burnt a couple times with me helping. I think a few more times and she can do it all! She also can run the splitter and stack. Now if only I could get her to run a chainsaw.

My wife caught on pretty quick with making fires if I’m gone. I showed her maybe 2 or 3 times. I don’t want her to enjoy it too much because before I know it I’ll be making dinner and she’ll be out starting fires and drinking beer

Reactions: TCaldwell
I saw your reply on my post about replacing an Empyre Elite. Am I reading this right that the size of this unit is 48" minimum width? Did you guys install during a new build? My biggest door anywhere in my basement or the room I have my current boiler in is 36". :(

I installed mine while we were building the house. A 36" door isn't gonna work. Also gonna need plenty of space to wheel it into position once you get it in the basement. I framed out the basement walls after. It fit trough the double doors just fine

1606169789625.png