Swoosh sound on start with Heat N Glo Tiara II gas stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

LAndrim

Jan 1, 2011
Outside of Philly
Hi Everyone,
When I start my Heat N Glo Tiara II stove, there is a loud swoosh sound. I turn it off, wait 5 seconds and restart, and sound is gone. I've cleaned it out pretty good, but this has not helped. Any suggestions? Thank much!

Hi Everyone,
When I start my Heat N Glo Tiara II stove, there is a loud swoosh sound. I turn it off, wait 5 seconds and restart, and sound is gone. I've cleaned it out pretty good, but this has not helped. Any suggestions? Thank much!
It could be that the burner is cold and that the fireplace is starting on High. Try starting it on Low.

It could be that the burner is cold and that the fireplace is starting on High. Try starting it on Low.
Hi Lennox 65. It's a stove, not a fireplace. Can't adjust from hi to low. anyone else have any thoughts? thanks much

Hi Lennox 65. It's a stove, not a fireplace. Can't adjust from hi to low. anyone else have any thoughts? thanks much
OK, semantics aside, your problem sounds like it is high gas pressure hitting a cold venturi tube as it is delivered to your "Gas Stoves" burner.

OK, semantics aside, your problem sounds like it is high gas pressure hitting a cold venturi tube as it is delivered to your "Gas Stoves" burner.
Thanks for the reply Lennox 65. I've now messed up the problem and made it worse. Now the stove won't light ( pilot just clicks but does not light) 1) vacuumed the inside of the stove to remove debris 2. cleaned the pilot assembly with steel wool, 3 ) replaced the battery that powers the ignitor. Pilot will not light! Please help. Thanks much

Are you burning LP or NG?
Hi Dansky, Propane. I've cleaned the pilot assembly with steel wool and then fine sand paper. Vacuumed out all the soot and debris, replaced the ignitor battery. When I press in the pilot knob, I hear the "click click click" but the pilot does not come on. Thanks for any advice.

The “swoosh” sound you hear happens a lot with LP. A small misalignment between the burner & the burner orifice allows the fuel, which is heavier than air, to escape through the air shutter. When the pilot is notes, that escaped gas also ignited. If you can adjust the orifice position, you may be able to eliminate the issue.
As far as the ignition goes, can you actually SEE the spark? Is it happening at the pilot hood? A frayed igniter wire will allow the spark to go to ground BEFORE it gets to the pilot hood. You will hear it clicking but if it’s not grounded to the pilot hood…

The “swoosh” sound you hear happens a lot with LP. A small misalignment between the burner & the burner orifice allows the fuel, which is heavier than air, to escape through the air shutter. When the pilot is notes, that escaped gas also ignited. If you can adjust the orifice position, you may be able to eliminate the issue.
As far as the ignition goes, can you actually SEE the spark? Is it happening at the pilot hood? A frayed igniter wire will allow the spark to go to ground BEFORE it gets to the pilot hood. You will hear it clicking but if it’s not grounded to the pilot hood…
Hi Daksy, sorry for the late reply. I DID find a very small fray on the wire (you're BRILLIANT!). I thought what the heck ,and ordered a new pilot assembly, so I've got new wires, thermo etc. So naturally, now that I'm up and running, weather where I am will be in the 60's for the next 4 days ! But I so appreciate your knowledge and willingness to act as a mentor and share your expertise! Many thanks!