sycamore

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lower on the btus chart I've never split by hand just with a splitter and if im remembering correctly it was stringy and extremely wet. I've burnt some in my smoke dragon. In my opinion its not the best wood and better than nothing but im not very picky about the wood I burn. That being said however I wouldn't go out of my way for it if there was some good hard wood available.

Sent from my rooted and eclipse running X2--thanks nitro-- if im posting on here I'm probably supposed to be working! I can't help im addicted to HEARTH.COM!

A friend of mine says it's better than burning snowballs.;) If it's there though, why not use it.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
It's all BTUs
A year CSS, good shoulder season wood. Better than the poplars.
I'd process it if close to home.

Steeltown has a bunch he C&S last year. Maybe he'll chime in with some more specifics.
Looks like good wood.

Like I said, it's all BTUs ;)

A year CSS, good shoulder season wood. Better than the poplars.
We have it here but I haven't tried any yet. I think I saw it on the charts at about 19 Mbtu so it's not too bad, about like soft Maple. Definitely useful...

We have plenty of sycamore here that nobody wants as firewood, so we use it for shoulder seasons. Like BG says, a year css and it'll be fine.

I like it as it's plentiful, round here people only go for oak 'cos that's all they have heard of, so it's useful to get good at burning the other firewoods around.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
lots of sycamore here...first year burning it...i gotta say i like it...when ur sitting around the house and u can load it when needed its great..keeps the house nice and toasty..i just wouldnt load my stove down with sycamore for an overnight burn...splitting sycamore is a bear...12 inch round stuff usually splits good...get in the big stuff and its really bad..but u can get er done...just take pieces off the edges and work ur way in

One of my favorite trees. However, have had some real bears trying to split by hand. I don't have a splitter, so I pretty much avoid it. I will burn limbs that don't need to be split. Its not a bad wood to burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.