Symptoms of too much draft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jones93

Nov 22, 2020
Wisconsin
Hearthstone gm 80 Suddenly having some poor burn times burning good dry black locust and burr oak. Seems like midnight to 5 am and I’m down under 350 top plate temp.
Early in December this was not the case would still be over 400 in the am. Nothing has changed all gaskets are in place cats are good do I have to much draft? I have around 30’ if chimney. I have a pipe damper ordered. Pretty much have to have the air control shut right tight to have any response from it, also I notice when starting a fire it’s almost like it sucks the flame out instead of it choking off or the like.

Reactions: kennyp2339
Hearthstone gm 80 Suddenly having some poor burn times burning good dry black locust and burr oak. Seems like midnight to 5 am and I’m down under 350 top plate temp.
Early in December this was not the case would still be over 400 in the am. Nothing has changed all gaskets are in place cats are good do I have to much draft? I have around 30’ if chimney. I have a pipe damper ordered. Pretty much have to have the air control shut right tight to have any response from it, also I notice when starting a fire it’s almost like it sucks the flame out instead of it choking off or the like.
With a 30' chimney I can pretty much guarantee you have to much draft

Reactions: kennyp2339
I assume it's colder now outside than early December? That'll give more draft, exacerbating the overdraft you already likely have.

Reactions: Jones93