Well this may be a first for anyone on this forum with this stove and I'm not feeling too cool about it but I'm pretty certain I had a small chimney fire that I miraculously caught before it had a chance to get any worse. Here's the rundown - Loaded the stove up with 3 splits of honey locust and two large splits of ash over that for overnight burn. Fire didn't get going as well as I wanted it to so I monitored for 15 or so minutes, opening the air up more, closing it down, waiting, etc. Finally left it open (not fully) and left my wife down there so I could go shower. As I'm getting in the shower, probably less than 10 mins later something told me to just check the chimney which is visible from our bedroom. Lo and behold I see sparks coming out and the chimney illuminating/glowing. Run downstairs, wife is sitting there fairly oblivious and I shut the air totally off and go outside. See a good amount of smoke dump outta the chimney and within a minute or less everything was done....there was nothing coming out of the chimney, not even regular smoke from the load that was still burning. Chimney is double wall stainless, I believe Selkirk. My wife said she heard the flue making some popping noises so she turned the air down "a little bit"....When I came down that stove was blazing. Not trying to blame her but, it's a good lesson in how quickly things can take off. As far as the chimney fire goes, it surprises me for a couple reasons. One, I was up there about 3 or 4 weeks ago looking at the chimney and everything appeared fine. No unusual build up on the cap, no shiny creosote that I could see in the pipe. During that time I've been burning less than ideal locust. 2 year seasoned but the moisture meter is giving me readings all over the place with it, some at 20% some as high as 35%. Found it hard to believe it could be in the 30's after two years plus no sizzling of any sort when it's burned. I'll assume for now my moisture meter was indeed accurate. The last time I cleaned the chimney was September of this year. Right before the season started. Again, surprised that build up can occur that quickly in something that every other time I've cleaned, I've thought afterwards "wow I really didn't even need to clean that"....Usually less than a cup of anything comes out. The amount of badly seasoned locust burned has been about a facecord or a little more. As for burning now, it's on hold until I get up there today after work and try to see what damage there may be. I'm hoping there's none since I "think" I caught it quickly and was able to choke it out easily. Things I'm taking away from this - Stop ignoring the high readings on my meter even if it is 2 year split/stacked wood, run the soot eater maybe once a month just to be extra safe, and get that flue probe thermometer I've been putting off for a while so I'm not only going by the stove top temp. Other advice, opinions and shaming are welcome.