T5 Chimney Fire...?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Statistically insignificant.....

I do notice that one minute a poster will advocate running it good and hot for awhile and another will say you need to turn down sooner. The old smoke dragons could clog a pipe until the stove wouldnt draft anymore and not catch fire. Now with the EPA stoves, you burn one fire with 21.5% moisture content today and tomorrow you get her up to temp and the chimney becomes a Roman Candle. Seems like an awful lot of chimney fires lately.
Reread the thread. He said he had been burning less satisfactory wood for a few weeks. You can plug up a chimney in a month burning poor wood, especially if the flue temps are low as is typical in shoulder season burning. This can happen in any stove, new or old.

Last edited:
To ask again, how is it that one post will say you need to run it hotter longer up front and the next advocates turning it down quicker as a reason why the fire? Seems to contradict.

I do enjoy the exchange of viewpoints.
Wood varies, installations vary, house sizes vary, insulation varies, time of year varies. Stove operation varies to compensate for the many variations and objectives. Some want to push for heat and others want to keep a lower stove top temps. A wood stove is not an electric appliance that you flip the switch, run and walk away. There is an art to burning and it varies from season to season, wood load to wood load, stove to stove, house to house. Moral of the story: burn dry wood, adjust your burning habits for the season, always keep an eye on a stove as it is starting up.

Reactions: Diabel
Gas mains probably installed by professionals.

Having lived through a house fire caused by
a 6 month old dishwasher, I worry far less about my wood stove on a class A chimney! It’s easy to monitor and my chimney is easy to clean from the ground. The two PE stoves I’ve burned in the last 5 years with dry wood, don’t make creosote.

A few months ago I suddenly noticed a nasty burning smell in my stairwell and in the gameroom. I traced it to the dehumidifier that was running. It smelled like burning wires and plastic. I turned it off and looked on the net for information regarding a cause. In one minute I stumble on a forum that mentions a recall on dehumidifiers. I go to the link and find that my dehumidifier was recalled in 2013 due to fire hazards. Come to find out that there were many fires and millions of dollars in damages caused by them. I really got lucky on that. Imagine if nobody was home or we were sleeping! I just got my settlement check for the return of my unit last week. Scary stuff. You just never know.

Reactions: Woody5506