T6, T5, or keep 30-NC? (tad long, sorry)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moosetrek

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 22, 2008
CA in the Sierras
We have the stove in sig. NO problems heating our home; however... we are considering a new stove for a couple reasons-
1) 30-NC is kind of hard to keep even heat sometimes
2) We plan to build in the next 2-3 years, and would rather buy the stove for the new home when we can get the tax credit (and a couple years use out of it first)
3) The new home will be larger, and open (maybe post/beam or log)
4) Love the look of some of the Alderlea stoves

Considerations:
- We bought the 30-NC last year, and it was a reasonable way to get my wife hooked on wood heat. It worked...

- My Wife and I both love the look of the Alderlea stoves

- Our current house is about 900 sq feet on the main floor, and a basement. Built in 1926, 9' ceilings, not much insulation, lots of windows. The 30 heats it well, and will easily cook us out of the living room if we really fire it up. However, we live in Wyoming where there is a lot of wind, and winter temps can get chilly (0-10 on a few days). Nothing like upstate NY though- I would equate our home and climate combo to a stove requirement of about 1500-1900 sq feet based on the above factors.

- Fuel is 90% pine or other softwood, and 10% hardwood.

- Altitude is about 5-6K feet, which may be a factor in heating ability of a stove as less oxygen per given unit of air to combust...?

- I travel a few days a month for work. A major consideration is ease of use for my wife, who is still perfecting the wood-burning routine and gets frustrated with too many levers, dials, and complications (no cat stoves - besides we like to watch the flames)

- If we buy another stove, it will be our heat for a long long time, especially if it weighs 500+ lbs like the T6. New home (we hope) will be about 1800-2200 sq ft, vaulted ceilings, open floors, possibly a small log home.

- Overnight and all-day burns are important, we both work and are gone about 10+ hrs.

Stoves:
Mansfield, used for $2499
Alderlea T-6 New ($2200)
Alderlea T-5 New ($1740)

I've seen the T-5 at the local dealer, it's a really nice looking stove. The heat was so much more mellow than the Englander, I was standing right next to it and could touch the cast iron but is was definitely putting out heat on the one medium split in there. No one has a T-6 to look at, and no one has a hearthstone to look at. I'm kind of leaning away from the stone anyway, I think the cast iron is a better attraction for my wife.

Questions:
1) Will the T6 be too hard to keep on a low burn? For the most part the Englander is OK, but it seems the cast shell of the PE stoves really diffuses the heat, and I think that would be enough to take the edge off, but still be able to really heat this house and the next. If it's a heat like the T-5, and similar efficiency, I think it will be perfect, but owners please weigh in.
2) Will the T5 be capable of long burns? Will it be up to a larger volume home later?

The prices seem reasonable for all models, especially that T5, but I'm all for spending a couple hundred more for the right stove. I'd hate to see the stove every night and think "I wish I'd bought the bigger one for all that $".

Any suggestions welcome- thanks!

T6 heats most of my house, yet I can sit within a few feet of it. So glad I didn't get a T5. My place is around 1400 ranch style with way too many windows and poor roof insulation. Stove is dead center of house on outside wall.
Very easy to control heat output.

No clue about the other stove you mention.

D.N.F., thanks - and it looks like you're a fellow pine-burner, no probs with that stove on softwood? That's all we gots down here.

PE's are easy to operate. One lever for the draft. Wish they made an Alderlea insert!

If you want a convection then T6 is great. We love how we can sit near it while its at 700 and not be blown out of the room. Most heat as you have noticed comes out the top with the front also giving a good share. Our reading couch is facing the stove and is only 4' from the side and the heat does not chase us away. It needs only ember protection for a hearth. We use only pine. The only consideration is this stove will put out a lot of heat when loaded. We just do not load it up during the mild seasons. Some who live in mild climates wish the stove could be controlled better but we love it.

Why is the T5, T6, and the 30 NC but not the Summit, Spectrum, or Super 27?

I recommend the Summit, BTW.

If we are going to stick with steel, we'll keep the Englander - can't be beat as a steel stove. THis is largely about a more mellow heat, and aesthetics; my wife really likes the look of the Alderlea stoves and so do I, just trying to figure out if one is too big and one is too small (and one is Just Right...). We also considered the Jotul F600, and the Quadrafire Isle Royale, but not quite the same appearance.

if you want a big stove and mellow heat, you should consider a catalytic. Load the stove up and let it do its thing.

After being used to all of that real estate to work with in the 30 I think you would be disappointed with anything but the T6. Same size firebox as the 30. Or something in the soapy category like the Mansfield. There is just nothing like having room to do what ya wanna do in that firebox. Big or small burn.

BB, I think you're right - guess it's looking like T6 or keep the Englander. SolarandWood, I'm just a fan of watching the flames and I think my wife would have a hard time with a cat stove, and I'm OK with something that's at least 8-10hr burn times and a bit more wood expended as long as it's big enough for future use in a bigger house. Sounds like the wife's call... nudge nudge- THey offered a decent deal on the T-6, out the door about $2200 seems solid?

we like our t6, if you are considering the alderlea's, don't think twice t5 vs t6. go big, stuff it full, get it going (no problem with your lodgepole) and cut it back and fall asleep in the lounger next to the stove. The type of heat off the convection/alderlea's is rather nice.

moose -

T6 Alderlea.......... My place is located in central NY state at a relatively high elevation. Open fields +,- 60% around the house and we get some day-um nasty wind here in the winter. House is about 1400 sf, but with a vaulted ceiling in the 16 x 30 living room. So it's like heating a +1600 sf house. Decent insulation but windows are 23 year old DH wood, so they are not as efficient as newer windows.

Before I pulled the trigger on the T6 I was going through the same choice dilemma as you are now. I did tons of research and asked ALLOT of questions right here on this site (prolly drove a few of these guys nutzo with all my ?? %-P ) but I was persistent LOL. Anyways, I decided to go with the T6 and I'm very happy with the stove. I'm able to control heat out put pretty well. Lately it's been mid 30s to low 40s at night. So, I load 5-6 smallish splits and let'm rip for about 20-25 minutes then cut down on the air supply some. That gets/keeps the house at about 72-74*. I get up in the AM and house is 69-70. Once we get into winter weather I load the T6 with mediums and biggies and it heats the place up quite nicely, and I get an easy 10 hr. overnight burn (hard woods) with plenty of hot coals to start the morning burn with. With the big fire box the T6 can produce enough heat such that I can open windows in the dead of winter, if I want to :eek:)

There's allot of good stoves out there. I can't compare/comment on them because the T6 is the only EPA type stove I've had. All I can suggest is do the research. And by all means, don't let a couple hundred $$ sway your decision. My advice would be to get what will suit your needs best. Have fun stove shopping!!

moosetrek said:
If we are going to stick with steel, we'll keep the Englander - can't be beat as a steel stove. THis is largely about a more mellow heat, and aesthetics; my wife really likes the look of the Alderlea stoves and so do I, just trying to figure out if one is too big and one is too small (and one is Just Right...). We also considered the Jotul F600, and the Quadrafire Isle Royale, but not quite the same appearance.

So you already have a 30-NC?

Just go with that.

Flames and cast iron are beautiful especially if the wife likes it.

moosetrek said:
D.N.F., thanks - and it looks like you're a fellow pine-burner, no probs with that stove on softwood? That's all we gots down here.

All I burn are fir/pine/spruce/cottonwood/larch/birch.

Love the stove. And it got wife approval. Blazeking was on my list but wife took one look and said nein!

Really nice warmish heat out of it.
My friend has the Summit and you can't sit anywhere near it (but that might just be me).

Bigg Redd, We have the Englander, but it is too extreme for the house we're in for the next couple years. Our bedroom is right next to the living room, and even though it doesn't bug me my wife notices. In order to get overnight burns, we have to load it up, and it seems the steel is to "peaky" for our living area. From the T5 I looked at, and from the reviews here on the T6, the ALderlea (or Hearthstone) will do a much better job, and possibly last longer on a load and allow us to put a smaller load in at night to begin with.

As for the even heat and long overnight burns go.........may I remind you.... that your burning pine? ;-)

The 30 burns fairly consistent and certainly over night with hard woods.......(I understand it depends on your region of course)

its like putting 87 octane in a top fuel dragster with no coolant...Its going to run hot n fast but not to peek performance without possible damage. in this case the damage would be short burn times and inconsistent burns!

Is the other stove really going to be that much better? I don't know I'm wondering myself?

I think Solar has given you the solution with the suggestion of a catalytic stove?

Cheers Hiram :)

I'll add my two cents since it looks like we're similar setup with house/ideas/and wood heat hopes:

We're 800 sq ft. per floor and live on the North Shore of the Atlantic Provinces. I have a 10 year old home R20 construction (basement insulated too) and the PE Fusion blows us out of the house if we want it to -- a T6 would eat us for lunch and ask for seconds. I think that speaks volumes considering we're cold up here and we have a wind regime that would make Germany jealous. Anyhow, enough hyperbole. We use 90% softwood also and I barely make an overnight burn (but I do) with spruce/poplar. If I was really keen on 10 hour burns than I would have to suggest the T6 or the Blaze King (even though that is not an option for you). I like using softwood,, but I don;t think it would be realistic to believe any non-cat can deliver on 10 hour burn times reliably.

Can you up your hardwood to 20-25%? Even a stick of hardwood in my overnighters really makes a decent difference.

I get overnight burns with pine/fir but barely. I need to put some big splits in the stove. If it is not windy I will have good coals. If it is windy the stove draws too well and I will have crappy coals but still lightable. If I put in regular splits I might have something in the morning or I might not depending on moon phase. If stove is out it is usually still warm to the touch though.

T6 is nice cause you can put some pretty large and long pieces of wood in there.

I think you would be happier getting the T6. It is a very easy stove to run and heats up slowly (and likewise for cooling down). They did a good job of using the mass of cast iron on the stove for tempering and storing the heat. We're in a mild climate, yet can use the stove on 45 degree days without driving us out of the house. On the flipside, if it's 20 outside and blowing a gale, the T6 can be run hot for hours and does a good job of keeping us cozy.

With pine, like d.n.f. I would be pushing it to get an 8 hr burn. But with soft maple or fir, I can usually achieve this by using bigger splits. This year I also have a stash of hardwood to try in the stove when it gets cold. I'm looking forward to seeing how that works for burn times. I tried a little locust last year, but it was cold and windy, so rather than go for maximum burn time, I had the air more open and was pushing it for good heat and steady 600+ deg. stove top temps. IIRC the burn was somewheres around 6 hrs.

As far as ease of use goes, my wife runs the stove as much as I do on many days. She likes the big firebox and single control. As long as she has a good stash of wood on the porch and good kindling, she is a champ with the stove.

Happy Halloween everyone! Hope you all have a safe evening and the little ones have fun... the wife and I looked at the T5 on display, and I think that sold her on the Alderlea stoves. We're going with the PE T6, should be here in about 10 days, all we have to do is survive the unloading and moving it into place. I think we already have a buyer for the Englander 30 too; hopefully all works out OK. Thanks to all for the advice-

Spooktacular -- well done. It takes a lot to impress me -- and I'm really impressed with the easy control and long burn times from our PE.

Have fun finding out the best process for your softwood -- the PE's handle the light wood really well (or so it seems -- I've had mine for less than a year). I can't wait until I can burn a few loads of hardwood in it and see how the stove handles the long burn times.

moosetrek said:
Happy Halloween everyone! Hope you all have a safe evening and the little ones have fun... the wife and I looked at the T5 on display, and I think that sold her on the Alderlea stoves. We're going with the PE T6, should be here in about 10 days, all we have to do is survive the unloading and moving it into place. I think we already have a buyer for the Englander 30 too; hopefully all works out OK. Thanks to all for the advice-

Good choice. Keep us posted and dust off the camera for some beauty pics once it's installed and burning.

This is a heavy beast. If possible, try to time the sale of the 30NC with the moving of the T6 and have the right equipment plus a good crew on hand. (Save the beer until after both stoves have been moved.)

C02Neutral said:
I'll add my two cents since it looks like we're similar setup with house/ideas/and wood heat hopes:

We're 800 sq ft. per floor and live on the North Shore of the Atlantic Provinces. I have a 10 year old home R20 construction (basement insulated too) and the PE Fusion blows us out of the house if we want it to -- a T6 would eat us for lunch and ask for seconds. I think that speaks volumes considering we're cold up here and we have a wind regime that would make Germany jealous. Anyhow, enough hyperbole. We use 90% softwood also and I barely make an overnight burn (but I do) with spruce/poplar. If I was really keen on 10 hour burns than I would have to suggest the T6 or the Blaze King (even though that is not an option for you). I like using softwood,, but I don;t think it would be realistic to believe any non-cat can deliver on 10 hour burn times reliably.

Can you up your hardwood to 20-25%? Even a stick of hardwood in my overnighters really makes a decent difference.

I Have no trouble getting 10 hour burns out of my Spectrum with Doug Fir.

BG, I think I'll advertise the 30 for sale, with $50 discount if the buyer helps us swap out stoves...! Just curious, our out-the-door price (no delivery or goodies) came to $2040, is that decent? Too late now, I guess, but most places were quoting close to the full $2400 retail. What is it looking like in other places?

Status
Not open for further replies.