Taking the plunge- any opinions?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

njtomatoguy

Feeling the Heat
Jun 20, 2006
Maple Shade, NJ
Hello all,

I have learned a lot just by reading back 30 pages.. I am ready for a stove. Went to my local dealer, and he educated me-45 mins of his time.. awesome guy.. he recommended an Avalon Pendelton.. I would have bought that day- he told me to think it thru-take measurements, etc.. I will build the non-combustible pad, and pick up permits, he said 1395 for stove, and 1250 for for install with close clearance double wall stainless steel pipe.. sounds fair to me..

House is 2 br 1 bath open ranch with vaulted ceilings. most of heating is done by vent free wall heater and fan, although I have the original 55 yr old furnace, which works.. Also have central air, so I could use the return to run the heated air thru the house and level out the heat..

Any opinions?

Bob

njtomatoguy said:
Hello all,

I have learned a lot just by reading back 30 pages.. I am ready for a stove. Went to my local dealer, and he educated me-45 mins of his time.. awesome guy.. he recommended an Avalon Pendelton.. I would have bought that day- he told me to think it thru-take measurements, etc.. I will build the non-combustible pad, and pick up permits, he said 1395 for stove, and 1250 for for install with close clearance double wall stainless steel pipe.. sounds fair to me..

House is 2 br 1 bath open ranch with vaulted ceilings. most of heating is done by vent free wall heater and fan, although I have the original 55 yr old furnace, which works.. Also have central air, so I could use the return to run the heated air thru the house and level out the heat..

Any opinions?

Bob

That does sound like a good deal, and it's nice that the dealer spent so much time with you and cared enough to have you take measurements, etc.

I assume by your handle that you live in Southern NJ - Whereabouts?

Congrats.

Open floor plan homes are usually easy to heat with a stove.

Using the central AC system to distribute heat around the house was discussed here about 6 months ago, and the concensus was that it does not work very well. I have tried it, and it did not work for me.

The best solution I found is a ceiling fan in the same room as the stove to distribute and even out the heat. And its even more important in a room with big ceilings, to pull the hot air down.

Can't comment on the stove your chose; not familiar.

Good Luck.

Craig, thanks for the reply-

I live in Maple Shade, NJ
Dealer was in Medford.. Forgot to mention, this was a saturday morning.. they really care..

What protection are you going to employ in your return duct sustem? Are you going to install a smoke damper? wired into you alarm system?. Point being, do you want to draw out air from the stove area? Your stove needs combustion air to run properly, removing air will cause it to back draft flue gasses. Those flue gasses will travel threw your duct system,distrubuting poisoneous gass into you sleeping areas. Feeds without returns is useless, are you going to use your supply as your return path? Another factor to consider, if your stove is involved witha chimney fire or something goes wrong, the same ease of using your retund duct system excellerates the rapid spread of smoke to the rest of the home. You will be reducing your safe exit response time drastically. All the studies and seminars I attended, it is provem the best way to escape fires is to try to contain the area it is in. The smoke damper does this. once the smoke is detected it will close down the damper and stop the spread of toxic smoke. Somke dampers are not cheap and require be tied into your smoke detector alarm system. This is not code in residential dwellings but required in comercial occupations.
Where code may apply, is you are using a duct system extracting heat from an open combustion sourse, for which your system was not designed to be used. For me as an inspector,, to allow its use this way, I would need supporting engineering and documentation, that this is an acceptable tested use

I had an Avalon stove when I lived in the Poconos of PA. It was an EXCELLENT stove. Being a non cat stove I was able to burn all the scrap wood I created from my craft business. When I built my home here in VT the Avalons didn't have an ashpan in the size stove I wanted, so we got a Regency. But the choice of an Avalon is a good one and I wish you the best of luck with it.

What are firewood prices in New Jersey these days?

Elk- I was hoping you would reply- I wasn't clear on that, but I would never hook up the stove to the HVAC system- I intend to use a ceiling fan as suggested by sandor- i will keep the furnace as a backup-last year I used the gas wall heater and an electric radiator space heater(walmart)and cut my elec/gas bill in half.. I appreciate your tech. expertise, and thank you for the reply. I now realize the -negative draft- would affect the stoves operation..

Vt woodburner- I am proud to say the price is right- Free!! so far, in about 3 weeks, I gathered at least 1 cord-mostly from fresh cut trees on the curb, waiting for pickup from township-- I am a trash-picker, and not ashamed of it- I picked a firewood ring also a few weeks ago..
So far I have 1/4 cord of cherry, 1/2 cord of white ash, and 1/4 cord of maple, plus a few pieces of hickory- I have a small car, so I can only take a few pieces at a time.. (Chevy aveo hatchback) I used the ax from my grandfather, replaced the handle,$8, then reading back posts decided to get an 8 pound maul.. 19.99 .. so far total investment about 30 bucks, and some sweat equity..

Got to run for work. but by using box fan and placement one can draw heat into remote rooms Let others fill in the details.
I too scrounge wood 6 cords so far this year Catch all at lunch hour my addition job is 7 houses down the street

Don't have the Avalon, but I do have its slightly smaller cousin, the Lopi Answer, and it is a awesome stove. I have seen the Avalon and it is solidly built. Don't think you can go wrong with that choice.

njtomatoguy said:
Craig, thanks for the reply-

I live in Maple Shade, NJ
Dealer was in Medford.. Forgot to mention, this was a saturday morning.. they really care..

Ha, that's my old store - I sold it to Ed and Jan, the current owners.

Tell Ed I said hi, and that I will collect my commission.

BTW, the installer (Dan) is the best in the world...and I mean that!

:lol:

that's too funny! Is this right across the river from philly craig? I might have to visit these old stomping grounds of yours hah, see if they're interested in carrying the corie line of stoves! :p

Corie said:
that's too funny! Is this right across the river from philly craig? I might have to visit these old stomping grounds of yours hah, see if they're interested in carrying the corie line of stoves! :p

Straight down Rt. 70 in Medford, NJ
#1 Branch Street.
about 15 miles due east of philly or 20 miles due south of trenton.

Status
Not open for further replies.