Tamarac in Jotul 500

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NickR

Feb 2, 2008
eastern ME
I have quite a bit of tamarac at 17% that I put up for burning in my Switzer. It looks as though the Switzer will not be operational for a few more weeks and we are having regular frost here now. For backup, quick warm up and aesthetics I also have a Jotul Oslo 500 that I am using for heat until the Switzer is ready.l have been burning red maple which goes pretty quick. The Jotul manual talks mostly about hardwoods . I am wondering if any Jotul owners out there have burned tamarac and how it went. My chimney is stainless metalbestos lined so I am hoping the creosote will be minimal. Thanks. Nick R.

Larch/Tamarack burns just fine when seasoned. It does not give you the BTUs of Maple but works to get the fire going and get some heat out of it.

PS - and if seasoned, no creosote will result as with all other wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.