Tap Roots

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bspring

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Greenville, SC
I have noticed that when pines and oaks fall I don't see much of a tap root. Is that because it has snapped off? When I try to dig one out they go 5 to 6 feet down sometimes. Do some trees tend to have long tap roots while others are shallow but branch way out?

Don't know a lot about it but I know that different species have different root systems, and differing soil conditions will affect how the roots tend to grow. Most roots are pretty shallow, not more than a few feet down. I think Pin Oaks have shallow roots, maybe no tap root.

White pines usually pull up a 30 foot circle coin of lawn when they uproot here. Roots aren't very deep.
Same with some of the spruce that have blown over here.

White oaks and red oaks I've seen have an aggressive tap root and the whites don't like having it cut when transplanting at all.
Oaks must have snapped off.

Status
Not open for further replies.