Tarm Excel oil/wood boiler versus the Wood Gun oil/wood boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muncybob

Minister of Fire
Apr 8, 2008
Near Williamsport, PA
It appears that having the extensive chimney work needed to keep my old oil boiler and purchase a dedicated wood boiler is out of the question due to the added $5k+ cost to remove the existing chimney and install a new double flu chimney. Appears that both the Tarm and Wood Gun are gasifiers with independent oil chambers. Both make a good argument for their products however the Wood Gun will come in considerably cheaper $$. Any first hand knowledge out there to help me make a decision between these? I did consider the Atmos oil/wood boiler too but not sure about support after the sale.
I would have preferred to keep my oil boiler as a back up but $$ is not available to do this.

I owned an early wood gun, and ran it from 85 to 90. Lots of headaches. The fan was (and may still be) on the hot side of the fire. The heat would travel along the fan shaft and constantly burn out the fan motor bearings. Thankfully, they're really cheap, but who want's to have to deal with that all the time???

I switched to oil and have purchased a Tarm 40 with storage, but have not yet installed, due to time/money. That may be a good thing, as I understand the tax credit applies to systems "placed into service" in '09.

Hope this helps.

penfrydd

Thanks for the info! I'll keep that in mind when I look at them. I've been told there have been many improvements in them since you had one so hopefully they have addressed the fan situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.