Task force 5 ton splitter from Lowes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pistonslap

Burning Hunk
Oct 7, 2006
southwestern Pa.
After initially being dissapointed with the splitter, I actually was impressed with it the second time I used it. The first time I used it was on some birch that was still pretty unseasoned. It would split 10" pieces but you had use a hatchet to finish the split. Today I split 10-12" oak, cherry and boxelder easily. Some of the oak I split was well seasoned 14"d. X 18" L. This is the first time I've ever split birch so I don't know if it is always a tough wood to split. It is a stringy wood and I have hit some of the pieces about 10 times with my 12 lb. maul to split them. My yard is small, so one thing I appreciate about the task force is that it only weighs 107 lbs. and I can carry it down my steps to my woodpile. Operating it is easy, although you have to hold the power button with one hand and the ram lever with the other. It calls for a 15 amp time delay circuit. I used a 20 amp with a 25' long #12 wire extension cord and it handled it with no problems. We use my friend's 27 ton splitter when we cut and I bought the Task Force to use in my basement to split pieces smaller for rekindling the overnight fires. I think it will be more than adequate for the job. Like Elk said in the ryobi thread, it's all about spending a little time learning how to use it and staying within it's capabilities. Let's hope it turns out to be reliable and lasts awhile.

I just spent another morning using the splitter. It goes through cherry easily, and some of the birch I have that is much drier was no problem. Overall it has exceeded my expectations. All that is left is the test of time.

Billy said:
Is that the one from lowes?
They are not too bad. The price is ok but the power was not enough for many applications so I went over to my friend and tested the other one from the www.omegastores.com.

No you didn't Bill. You just dropped in to spam hearth.com. Again.

he's putting them on Craigs List now too with vague descriptions that look like its from a private seller and not a retailer to try to avoid getting the ads deleted.

Hi Billy,

Good seeing you again. Good thing you are dealing with advanced amateurs or professionals here. We know what customer service Omega delivers. No sales here buddy.

I hope most people do their due dilligence research before they order anything that expensive. Then they will find out how bad Omega is.

Carpniels

PS. If you really are trying to make things better (i.e. forget the past and improve on it) then change your name from Omega to whatever and start anew. new stickers on the splitters aren't that expensive and that is easier than repairing a bad reputation.

The Task Force seems to be more than able to do the job I bought it for. After all the complaints and looking at the pictures of how cheaply constructed the Omega is. there is no way I would buy one.

I have split red oak or white oak 20" round by 14 with the Ryobi last year, so I would think the task force is up to the "task" :bug: . 10 of them so far with 1 pending. Of course watch what you are doing and if it sounds like it ain't going through StoP!

Yes I did purchase the replacement plan. Have not used it so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.