Taylor 750

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dairyfarmer

Hello new to the forum. My question is I would like to install a Taylor 750 to heat my home. I was wondering being an open system can the furnace be installed below the basement where the pump is going to be. I would like to run three pumps for three different zones. I thought about putting a pump down on the furnace a pushing the water up the hill but I'm not sure how to do that and keep my three different zones all on different thermostats. My thought was that the pump on the furnace would have to run all the time and then pull off of that with 3 more pumps. I would like to do this with less pumps as possible but maybe that is not possible. Any advice would be appriciated.

Hello dairyfarmer. Hope you didn't by a Taylor. Mine is 9 years old and outside about 40 feet from the house. I noted you were going to put it in your basement... expect to have smoke in the house as it blows back easily. Also your neighbors will wonder if your house is on fire when it stokes! We are going to exchange for a gassification unit sometime soon. Although we are looking into pellet boilers, too.

My dad has had a taylor for 15 years and we like them a lot. I'm not going to put it in the basement. It's going to be below the basement geographic wise. So I didn't know with a non pressure system if that would be o.k.

Don't split anything if I can pick it up it's going in.

dairyfarmer said:
Hello new to the forum. My question is I would like to install a Taylor 750 to heat my home. I was wondering being an open system can the furnace be installed below the basement where the pump is going to be. I would like to run three pumps for three different zones. I thought about putting a pump down on the furnace a pushing the water up the hill but I'm not sure how to do that and keep my three different zones all on different thermostats. My thought was that the pump on the furnace would have to run all the time and then pull off of that with 3 more pumps. I would like to do this with less pumps as possible but maybe that is not possible. Any advice would be appriciated.

Installing the circs above the static water level of any open boiler is not good. You may be able to get the piping primed and circulation established but what you will never have is any positive pressure at the inlet of the circ. All wet rotor circs need at least a couple PSI to avoid destroying the impeller as well as for cooling the rotor. In short, you'll burn them up left and right. It's mandatory for a good installation to put the circs as far below the water level of the boiler on any open system as you can. It also helps a lot to keep your piping sized large enough that you can use a low head model.

Thanks for the response heaterman does that mean it will work if the pump is on the furnace. ( the lowest point) and push the water up into the basement or will that be to much work for the pump?

dairyfarmer said:
Thanks for the response heaterman does that mean it will work if the pump is on the furnace. ( the lowest point) and push the water up into the basement or will that be to much work for the pump?

Much better for the circ to have a bit of pressure on the inlet, as it would if mounted low by the boiler. (I assume that the boiler outlet is low on the Taylor) I would use pump flanges that have an integral purge valve to allow for "power purging" with house pressure from a garden hose. Once the loop is full it will circulate provided the elevation from the boiler to the house does not exceed the "feet of head" the circ will develop. You would do well to use tubing maybe one size bigger than normally needed to eliminate as much head as possible.

Burn dry wood in that Taylor, they can be a creosote monster if the moisture content is too high.

Status
Not open for further replies.