technical opinion, regarding F 500 eco and in general

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Prometeo

Minister of Fire
Jan 7, 2022
IT
My stove ( jotul f 500 eco ) has a cast iron hearth base, I am considering a brick floor, to understand differences, if burn times will be better and what happens in general. If anyone knows differences maybe I can save time or do this. Currently in the morning, I find ash, some coal still good and some as if it was not burned. We're talking 14 hours after last charge, I don't live in that house ( for now ) I'm doing jobs but I turn on the stove almost every day

Are you asking about adding firebricks on top of the firebox floor?

I don't think that will do much besides reduce the firebox capacity, but it wouldn't hurt to try this as a test. Otherwise, just open up the air a bit, maybe 25%, after 8 hrs. to burn down the rest of the coals.

Reactions: Prometeo
Are you asking about adding firebricks on top of the firebox floor?

I don't think that will do much besides reduce the firebox capacity, but it wouldn't hurt to try this as a test. Otherwise, just open up the air a bit, maybe 25%, after 8 hrs. to burn down the rest of the coals.
Thank you ! Yes, that's exactly what I meant. refractory brick as floor. I have found some 1 inch thick. I understand that refractory brick should be less hot when the fire is in full swing, prolonging combustion? And maybe stay warm when it's time to recharge finishing burning coals? Too good to be true! Finally it could be a protection for the floor of the stove, but hard to tell if it's actually something good, I'll try!

i applied a firebrick floor, inside firebox and I notice that large pieces of oak continue to burn even singly inside, probably coals on the bricks they maintain a higher temperature