Technique to pull out ram from cylinder.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
Can anyone give me a suggestion as to how to pull out the ram from my cylinder?
I have removed the outer ring but now it won't come any further.

Attachments

• splitter ram.jpg
    splitter ram.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 211
Is the cylinder empty? If the gland is free of any locking rings then you should be able to remove it by using the ram/piston as a slide hammer. Removing the hoses will help.

Is the cylinder empty? If the gland is free of any locking rings then you should be able to remove it by using the ram/piston as a slide hammer. Removing the hoses will help.
Locking ring is off. hoses are removed. I will rig up a jack and jack it out tomorrow. Thought maybe it was a common issue.

A little compressed air in the port will do it most times also, just make sure you have a safe landing zone. A C

Reactions: bioman
Very little. Back when I worked on equipment. There was a cylinder that would not come apart. The head wrench used air,it went through two cement block walls and stuck in the third. Da&% lucky no body was maimed or killed. I needed new undies after the dust settled.

Very little. Back when I worked on equipment. There was a cylinder that would not come apart. The head wrench used air,it went through two cement block walls and stuck in the third. Da&% lucky no body was maimed or killed. I needed new undies after the dust settled.

Yea, I should've been a bit more specific, just a light touch with air, & a tap with a hammer. A C

There is most likely a little rust or dirt in the end of the barrel holding the gland. Remove the hoses and try the slide hammer method. You can try a come a long on the end of the rod also. Use air as a LAST resort and make sure you use an adjustable regulator, starting with 0 PSI., Air WILL launch the rod across the room so use extreme caution.

Air is dangerous because of the stored energy, Once the object releases the amount of pressure remaining keeps launching it as the air expands out in volume A liquid has very little compression/energy storage so as soon as it starts to move the pressure drops off.
I am not recommending this as safe, but it is 'less unsafe' : Similar to hydro testing an air tank, you can fill it up with water (or oil if you can contain the mess) then apply the air over that. The stored energy in the very small of air is a lot less.

Or fill it with oil and use a porta power to pressurize the closed side. Or use the orginal hydraulic source to pressurize it out.
Once absolutely sure the snap rings and parts are out, I would extend it out and use a cable winch or chain comealong as the safest way.

As the above poster says, hook the lines back up, put some cribbing under the rod to protect the piston and cylinder and slowly push the rod out. There will be some oil to catch but if done slowly it will be easy to control.

Its out. Used a jack and chains to pull it out. TFTH.

Status
Not open for further replies.