Telescoping (adjustable length) Stove Pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacktheknife

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2012
Lakota, Iowa
I finally received my Selkirk adjustable length stove pipe and slapped it in above the stove adapter and damper, bellowing the heat reclaimer and single wall. So essentially we have double wall up until the reclaimer and single above it, makes the transition from double to single look nicer.
I still have to dress down the one section of single wall I had to cut and slide everything in place for the final install. Hoping this will make cleaning go much better, since the reclaimer has to come out before I can run the brush threw it.
Also, for anyone that doesn't know, Selkirk makes Supervent and they are compatable, but the Selkirk version was about $30 cheaper.

Reactions: Ashful
What's with the heat reclaimed? It's really not a good idea, especially on an EPA stove.

I was advised to put it on with the smaller stove, we used it last year and it seemed to work fairly well. I think it will probably go with the lopi when we upgrade.

Got it all back together now, seems pretty slick. I used a saws all to cut down the pipe, but it did a pretty rough job so I gave it a good smoothing out and the big grinding wheel. Slid right on, unlike the time I used snips.

Would love to see a photo, it sounds like a hack job. Oh wait, it was a sawzall job. We can try and point out any deficiencies or non-code compliant items.

Not sure what exactly would make it a hack job other than cutting a pipe to length. I wanted to use all single wall, but the accessories on the bottom only come in double wall versions.

Not sure what exactly would make it a hack job other than cutting a pipe to length. I wanted to use all single wall, but the accessories on the bottom only come in double wall versions.

I think it was a Hack-Saw joke, But you used a sawzall.
It just sounds like a unique set-up, it's very uncommon to use double and single on the same stove.

What accessories were not available for the single wall pipe?

I think it was a Hack-Saw joke, But you used a sawzall.
It just sounds like a unique set-up, it's very uncommon to use double and single on the same stove.

What accessories were not available for the single wall pipe?

The stove adapter, the damper, and the telescoping pipe.

The stove adapter, the damper, and the telescoping pipe.

All those things should be readily available, and no stovetop adapter is necessary for singlewall.
Most pipe manufacturers offer a slip section of pipe.

Reactions: HDRock
They sure weren't at menards...

I'm curious if you have a lot of creosote buildup. I always advise my customers not to use the heat re-claimers out of concern about exhaust gasses cooling too much and excessive creosote buildup but I actually have never had anyone with a Lopi use one. How often do you have to clean your chimney using that? Generally my customers with Lopi's only require yearly cleanings.

Don't take this the wrong way I'm not being critical I'm just interested in what your experience has been.
Thanks

I'm curious if you have a lot of creosote buildup. I always advise my customers not to use the heat re-claimers out of concern about exhaust gasses cooling too much and excessive creosote buildup but I actually have never had anyone with a Lopi use one. How often do you have to clean your chimney using that? Generally my customers with Lopi's only require yearly cleanings.

Don't take this the wrong way I'm not being critical I'm just interested in what your experience has been.
Thanks

Last year was our first year with it, so I have nothing to compare it with. Also, we were unprepared and burnt a lot of lumber and greener than desired wood to get through the year. We cleaned it once halfway through the year and then cleaned it again today, didn't seem like a large amount of creosote.

Reactions: The Maine Stove Guy
Generally my customers with Lopi's only require yearly cleanings.
I've cleaned a few this year that have never been cleaned. Both were Libertys that have been in use for 7 years or so, one only called because he got a few birds down the flue. I only got about a cup of fine powder out of the flues. This seems to be very common for Lopi.

I've cleaned a few this year that have never been cleaned. Both were Libertys that have been in use for 7 years or so, one only called because he got a few birds down the flue. I only got about a cup of fine powder out of the flues. This seems to be very common for Lopi.

Well, we got a probably closer to 3 or 4 cups out of a 36' foot install.

Have you tried running the stove without it? A 36' tall flue needs all the heat it can get! It's really gonna fight rapid cooling in that kinda distance.

That's great feedback, thanks guys. Webby I have several customers that go years before they require cleaning also, we generally tell people to check it at least yearly but the Lopi's do great in general.

Thanks!!!
Same here!

No, I havent. Like I said, last year was our first year burning and it was recommended by my brother, the guy who installed the chimney. Maybe this year i will take it out after the new years cleaning.

Reactions: The Maine Stove Guy

To how much wood? Sounds like you did a very good job operating your stove. With my old stove and reclaimer I would measure by the gallon. :(
Also some insurance companies won't cover installs with heat reclaimers.

To how much wood? Sounds like you did a very good job operating your stove. With my old stove and reclaimer I would measure by the gallon. :(
Also some insurance companies won't cover installs with heat reclaimers.

Honestly, I have no idea. We got a lot of scrap and dead trees over the winter, was not able to keep track. We burned when we were home and tried to build the fire to burn overnight and while at work, but it rarely did last the desired time. Small firebox didn't do us any favors.

Single wall telescoping pipe at Northern Tool, Simpson $49, $10 shipping

Status
Not open for further replies.