telescoping dvl stuck

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Vmaxer

Nov 18, 2020
Antioch,ca
I'm making small progress after I healed.
I'm about to hook up the telescoping dvl to the stove and ceiling box.
Put together the dvl telescoping pipe. I can't extend it is stuck.
I was able to rotate with two belts, that didn't do good, didn't make difference.
It only rotated...

Any ideas, soapy water inside? running out of ideas on this.
Thanks for advice in advance.

How much of the inner pipe is exposed?
Enough to submerge some of it in cold water?
Try applying heat to the outer with a heat gun
at the same time... It might free up.

Reactions: begreen and Vmaxer
Yes sir, I'm asuming vertical into a bucket? do you heat up all around the other or mainly the joint area? Thanks.

Yep. Vertical. Let is sit for a couple of minutes to let the cold penetrate.
Start heating the outer from above the area that's stuck.
If you heat too close to that area both sections might expand...

Reactions: Vmaxer
Thanks that helped, it took me about an hour to make it work.
Here is what I did for future reference.
1st - an inch of iced water in 5 gallon bucket, wait till above water is cool
-- heat pipe with heat gun at high in a minute was able to push it down :) prove I can break lock.

2nd-- Tried varius things to get it to telescope out, even tried to hook it to the ceiling box and try to rotate the bottom or pull it down to telescope. No go.

Went back to 1st step with bucket, left it in there for 10 minutes.
at the top the female top part made a strap using three mounting holes and some wire.
attached this wire to a carabiner.
then started to heat the pipe from top down. Took it outside and hooked the carabiner to a solid point.
Now I have a handle at the top part with carabiner hooked to a solid non moving object. Used my yard gate.
pulled out the lower end without any problems. clipped off handle fast!
mounted top to ceiling box, had to make it shorter to fit, shifted the wood stove, look at it with 6" level adjust.
I was really worried I wouldn't be able to extend it out again... Voila. :).
I would suggest anyone to first make at least one side a handle that you can tie to something so you can pull it out.
I guess two people could have done the same without a handle. I'm usually solo on most things.

Cheers... Three things left to do.
Build a bottom shield out of 22 gauge.
add 5 ft of pipe on roof and brace it.
connect the outside air hose to stove.

Reactions: DAKSY