Tell us about your hobbies....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I play the guitar...and a bit on ukulele. I like to read...mostly fiction. I hike, camp, and canoe. I like to use my brain powers to solve problems (finished that "unified theory" thing...now working on "why its called a pair of shorts"). Seriously hoping that the "40 Lb. Pellet Bag Toss" becomes and olympic sport, with weight class divisions....maybe my only real chance for gold.

a few of mine:

-skiing (although this year has sucked so far- snowpack is 40% below normal & temps are way above average :mad:)
-hiking
-camping
-fly fishing
-backpacking
-collecting firewood

Woodworker (built my own kitchen cabinets)
Winemaker -- have made 60 gallons of usually Barbera/Alicante for past 5 years
Just started kayaking
Voracious reader

Don't go much as I used to (due to work), but was involved with racing since 1969. This is the latest thing we race:

Attachments

• 410 car at Fonda 2.jpg
    410 car at Fonda 2.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 280
imacman said:
Don't go much as I used to (due to work), but was involved with racing since 1969. This is the latest thing we race:

I live just over a mile from Cortlandt Auto Body in Crugers!

Just catching up on this one... what a diverse bunch we are - lots of cool hobbies.

BTW flatbed, very impressive detail on your models. nice work.
(I know how easy it is to get burned out... I have enough project airplanes to keep me going for the next 10 years)

Hunting blacktails in the timber, and messing around with trail cams...
CDY_0029.jpg

CDY_0003.jpg

DS bike...
drzcamp055.jpg

And a lot of this...
cutts005.jpg

8-31nf008.jpg

8-31nf005.jpg

10-26-07_4.jpg

1-21-08wild2b.jpg

Lots of cool pics in this thread!
Well....as my name suggests, I have another use for high BTU osage - didn't score with my copperhead skin bow this year, but got a big doe with one of my first homemade ones at 17 yards on the ground last year. Kicking myself for years of leaving lots of hedge laying after cutting trees for staves....'doh!

Attachments

• b4.jpg
    b4.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 194
  • b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 209
  • b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 225
  • b3.jpg
    b3.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 184
  • b5.jpg
    b5.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 200
Nice job on the bow. The skin is really neat. Is it epoxied over the bow or a type of clear coat? Welcome to the forums too.

Thanks - lotsa good info on here, learning a lot in a short span of time.
The snakes are skinned, dried by tacking on a board, and glued on with wood glue, then trimmed. Satin spray poly over everything.
I have to add I am a Biology teacher do not kill snakes just to skin them.
I use roadkills, neighbor kills, and venomous ones in my yard I can't get to safely to catch and remove to the national forest den areas nearby. Non venomous get a complete pass. I hate rodents! ;-)
This one was in my neighbor's yard during a bad drought a few years back. her 2 labs bugged it for 30 minutes and didn't get bit.

Attachments

• bigtimber.bmp
    316.9 KB · Views: 268
im a golfer, which is my only long term hobby.i grew up on this golf course http://wintongolf.com/ as for the history of the site , Patrick Henry's mother is buried on the property. of course playing with fire is more than just a job with me so the job i have is very satisfying to me. living in Virginia im a kid in a candy store as well due to being a huge history buff, within 50 miles of my location are Appomattox Va. (surrender grounds at Appomattox Courthouse. Bedford Va. home of the "bedford boys" noted for being the single community in the US which by percentage of population lost the most of its citizen soldiers on D-Day which is why the National D-Day memorial is located there http://www.dday.org/photo-gallery.html along with several other historically signifigant locations. to my west about 25 miles is the Blue Ridge Parkway http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/ and Natural Bridge (one of the 7 natural wonders)

needless to say the Old Dominion has pleanty to keep my mind and body occupied, come down and see us sometime

All things internal combustion...

Jeeps...motorcycles...tractors...trucks...cars...chainsaws...ATVs...if it's got a motor, I'm interested. I like riding/driving/operating, but being an engineer, my true love is wrenching/modifying and occassionally, actually improving. My latest project is an M416 Army trailer that I'm customizing a bit to compliment my Jeep for some camping and such.

015.JPG

I'll be welding up an entirely new frame from square tubing this winter in hopes of hitting the dirt this spring.

I collect and play guitar. My oldest is a 1946 Epiphone, model Broadway. It was 1 step down from their top of the line Emperor model. They were very popular jazz guitars in their day. I'm just beginning to learn the mandolin. Always liked that sound and finally decided I wanted to be able to make it.

Astronomy is my other passion. Never invested a lot of money in it but I do have a 130mm reflector that allows me to clearly see the cloud bands and the "Great Red Spot" on Jupiter. Here are a few of the pics I took through the scope during the Feb. '08 total lunar eclipse. It was 16F that night but I stayed out for the whole thing. Brrrrrrr.

Attachments

• 005_19A.JPG
    005_19A.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 124
  • 001_23A.JPG
    001_23A.JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 127
  • 006_18A.JPG
    006_18A.JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 134
  • 011_13A.JPG
    011_13A.JPG
    170.5 KB · Views: 120
  • 009_15A.JPG
    009_15A.JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Reactions: webbie
I wish I had even the slightest modicum of musical talent...I can't even tap my foot with recognizable rhythm. Vintage guitars seem like a cool thing to collect.

Status
Not open for further replies.