Temp Research on F600

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

remkel

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 21, 2010
Southwest NH
Broke down and bought an IR thermometer to check on my Condar thermo. Found the Condar to be approx. 50 degrees off to the low side.

Also checked the four corners of the F600 to see which is the hottest, and as others have stated, the right rear was the winner. As for center of stove top, the IR only goes to 600, so right now the center of the stove top temp is ERROR.

Good to know that things are ok- now I have been shooting the house to see what the ceiling vs. floor temps are in different areas of the house. Have come to learn that I need to really reasses the insulation in the room above the garage- lots of cold air coming into that room. Guess I did a poor job when I finished off that room- hey, I can't know everything, but I will never admit that to my daughters :) )

I figure a 50 or so degree difference is acceptable . . . I'm not making souffles . . . just want to know if I'm a little too hot or a little too cold.

Same with me Jake. I would stand by the stove and it just felt like the temps were a little higher than i was reading. Got the IR for peace of mind, but now it is getting a little crazy.

Remkel said:
Same with me Jake. I would stand by the stove and it just felt like the temps were a little higher than i was reading. Got the IR for peace of mind, but now it is getting a little crazy.

Nah . . . not crazy . . . just inevitable . . . you start with one thermo, decide you need another and eventually progress to the point where you need the IR thermo and then to the point where you start to give serious consideration into spending some serious change for a more accurate thermo or to make your own electronic thermo. Seems perfectly normal to me.

The IR comes in handy checking the back of the Encore since it is wedged into a fireplace (came in handy last night). I also will check the Heritage with the IR when temps go above 550 just to make sure I don't have a hot spot hiding on me and it turns out the stove is sitting at 600+ degrees. I lucked out and accidentally bought an IR that doesn't error until it hits 1,000°.

Status
Not open for further replies.