Tempcoal II stove help.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jbatista

Oct 28, 2015
Boston
My fiancé and I just purchased a house that came with a tempcoal II stove. I managed to find a 1 page manual online but I still have my concerns. We currently live in Boston. Previous owners said that they burned wood in it and we figured we could use this stove at our 1200 square foot ski cabin up in Vermont. Anyone have any experience burning wood it this stove since it was primarily designed for coal. We already have a wood stove in the cabin but it is home made and the steel is very thin. It's also no where close to air tight and seems to eat wood. I was hoping this tempcoal would be an upgrade since it has a blower and is in good condition. Any help would be appreciated.

Calling @fsappo to the front desk. Tempwood question.

My fiancé and I just purchased a house that came with a tempcoal II stove. I managed to find a 1 page manual online but I still have my concerns. We currently live in Boston. Previous owners said that they burned wood in it and we figured we could use this stove at our 1200 square foot ski cabin up in Vermont. Anyone have any experience burning wood it this stove since it was primarily designed for coal. We already have a wood stove in the cabin but it is home made and the steel is very thin. It's also no where close to air tight and seems to eat wood. I was hoping this tempcoal would be an upgrade since it has a blower and is in good condition. Any help would be appreciated.
My brother-in-law bought this stove new and we have been using it for wood at a cottage in the Adirondacks for over 20 years, burning only wood up there. Never had any problems. I do have a question for you: How many CFM (cubic feet per minute) does the blower push?

One more point: I always heat up the flue before starting the stove. Seems to really help get it going

One more point: I always heat up the flue before starting the stove. Seems to really help get it going
I don't really know how many cfm the blower puts out. The one I have is pretty old and isn't too strong but it definitely helps spread the air around. I'll check when I'm up there if it states any of that info on it. I have a question. What size logs are you burning and how are you regulating the air flow? Do you use a flue damper to keep the fire burning slow?

Status
Not open for further replies.