Temperature of wood stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NickJames

Mar 2, 2019
Grove City
I got a cheapo us stove logwood in my garage just to heat it.

I noticed the temperature is 200 degrees difference from top and sides. The sides could push 650-700 degrees and the top is 450-500

Should I be concerned about the sides temperature than the stove top since its hotter or is this normal?

Thank you.

Probably a design issue. I'd keep a close eye on it, and inspect it for failures in the welds and plates regularly. Those stoves are not famous for their durability. (Well, actually, they kind of are, but not in a good way.)

I got a cheapo us stove logwood in my garage just to heat it.

I noticed the temperature is 200 degrees difference from top and sides. The sides could push 650-700 degrees and the top is 450-500

Should I be concerned about the sides temperature than the stove top since its hotter or is this normal?

Thank you.
The design and build quality of these stoves is very bad. They leak air like crazy making them hard to control. And the castings are extremely low quality which can lead to cracking of the panels.

On top of that solid fuel burners are not allowed in garages by code