Temporary pipe joint sealer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

precaud

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny New Mexico
www.linearz.com
I can see now that there are two singewall joints in the chimney system that I'll be breaking seasonally for maintenance: the one at the stove, and the one at the tee. I normally use furnace cement to seal pipe joints, but it adheres to the pipe almost too well. Anyone know of a sealerthat will take the heat but will be easier to remove?

For some reason, the system won't let me put a space between "sealer" and "that"... odd.

Only worse grades of furnace cement - in other words, don't buy rutland brand. In my experience, some of the white or sand colored cements do not hold as strong to metal. Even regular refractory cement should break out easier as it is not special formulated to stick to metal.

Hmmm. I've never seen anything but Rutland in the stores around here. What are these lesser alternatives?

How about Duro high temp auto sealer and gasket maker. Theo ORANGE STUFF. I think it rates to 500F and can be had in caulking gun tubes. Caterpillar uses it to seal major castings ect. Good stuff peels right off or scrapes easily and doesn't peel or stretch ect.

Automotive 500 degree stuff is the same heat range as RTV 500 degrees will actually catch on fire on single wall woodstove vents An alternative would be Draft sealant 136 Dap. 3M. and Boss makes the product

Update: I got some 3M FB 136 and used it to seal the connecting pipes, plus the pipe-to-stove collar joint. It appears to work as advertised. BTW, it is hard when cured, not flexible. One very nice thing; it doesn't bubble up like regular stove cement often does (from trapped moisture escaping). I don't yet know how easily it will come off the pipe, but will find that out in a couple weeks I suspect. The only thing I don't like about it is the color, a medium grey. For exposed joints, it would have been very nice if it was black. And I sure wish they would supply caps for the nozzles again. Anyway, thanks for the recommendation, Elk. It's good stuff.

DAP High heat Motar is fire resistant Motar ASTM E- 136 Rated, is black Can of high heat paint will cover the grey and make it look better..
the Dap product is tested to 2,200 degrees I have used it to re caulk stove joints and seams and so far it is holding. I also used it in place of gasket cement and it holds the gaskets just fine

For gasket cement I like the KEL KEM Gasket glue. IT is clear liquid and flows great works so much easier than Rutland squeeze tubs

would also work sealing pipe joints

KEL KEM
Pickering Ontario

Status
Not open for further replies.