Temps...chimney, chimney cap, and inside stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe F

Nov 30, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
Ok I know this sounds like a very strange question, I was wondering if anyone has an idea of the temperatures, inside the stove, the chimney, and the chimney exit (near the cap).

The reason i ask this is because i notice my double wall stainless chimney getting a slight, very slight blue color right under the cap. I'm planning to buy an IR thermometer to check the temps, but i need to know where they should be.

Also my stove is a RSF Opel 3.

Not likely that what you're seeing is because of temperature. I'm thinking maybe you're just seeing a bit of creosote deposition on the outside of the chimney piping just beneath the cap. Pretty common. The cap & the chimney piping immediately beneath it will experience the lowest temperatures of your entire system. You're not seeing the kind of temperature-induced color changes you might see on a chrome motorcycle exhaust pipe, if that's what you're thinking you're seeing. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.