Temps/ heat loss/ OPB maxim 250

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VTVt

Dec 3, 2008
Vt
HELLO all.... ok, I set my outdoor pellet boiler (central boiler/maxim 250) to 180 degrees. I have about 20 feet of outdoor insulated piping, which is buried about 8 feet down.... then it goes inside with inside pex pipe run of about 40-50 feet... then it goes to a hot water heat exchanger (arm type) then to boiler a few feet away....

so far it seems the temp is 130-140 avg, I have have seen it as high as just about 150, by the time it gets to the inside boiler.... then it runs direct into my indoor boiler, no heatx. So the temp difference is 30-50, I imagine that is determined by how much heat is being called for among other things.

IS THIS TEMP GOOD?

Today I took a roll of regular home insulation I had laying around and wrapped as much of the indoor pex down the crawlspace as possible.... that was a few hours ago, so I have not yet gone down to see if I have any raise in temp from that.

I also went out and turned up my settings to 185 outside to see if it will increase final temp. Although so far (last 24 hrs) it seems to be heating all areas of my bldg, and Dom. hot water is good.... we did notice if you put heat UP in a room it is not fast to raise, nor does it totally go to where you want it... WHICH is fine as long as it stays 68-72.... we tested by putting a few up to 75 and it didnt seem to want to go there fast.... should it? Or is it normal for the overall heat to kind of level off and have limits?

What we are getting now is fine BUT I am worried that once temps start going under zero out here in VT maybe we wont maintain 68 minimum.... and I do not want to use OIL !!!!

My system seems to run (as it should according to the directions) mostly in MEDIUM mode.... I am thinking cranking up the pellet rate will not help -as- if it is hitting my set mark of 180/now 185, running on medium with a medium pellet delivery rate, what would be the benefit to upping the pellet delivery rate? I am thinking I need to UP pellet delivery when temps drop and when the current rate I have now cant do 180/185 without constantly switching into high gear....

SO if someone with experience knows if this is a good temp and if you know what I can expect once temps drop, I am looking forward to hearing from you!

hi all... I opened the water drain valve and tested water direct just before it hits my hot water arm xchanger... it read between 160-165 .... it was set at 185 outside.... so it gets to my hot water OK then after that goes to my indoor boiler where it is reading 130 on my inside boiler... so losing 20/25 coming in, then another 30 after heating hot water.... hmmmm.... it was 7 degrees outside overnight/this morning and 9 most of the day and evening here in SO.VT and I am thinking as temps hit zero I may need to use my hot water heater or indoor boiler to boost temps.....

most areas in my bldg did hold 66-70 thru night/day but i think it would struggle if anyone wanted more than that or if it gets much colder....

and I used to not be able to use my hot water without adding cold, I just did dishes with only hot, no cold.... I DO have a large old style brass mixer valve on my system so I am thinking change that up a bit to let it stay hotter.... in the winter anyway....

oh well thats the update for now.

A little off topic, but do you like your M250? I have the M175 and am liking it. Burning corn.

Are you sure it is 8 ft under ground? Is it Thermopex? I am running about 40' with Thermopex, about 20' to plate heat exchanger DHW (works good) then about 30' to boiler heat exchanger. It is all insulated in the basement. I don't see any readable temperature lose between the boiler and DHW exchanger.

It sounds like your losing a lot under ground and in the crawl space. How is your consumption?

If it never goes into idle, I'm guessing your losing too much heat besides what your using.

Tim

I have a central boiler 5860 and noticed the same thing. I read in the manual that when using a heat exchanger there will be a 20 degree difference in heat transfer. So 180 inbound from OWB would give you 160 read on the indoor boiler. I just increased my indoor pipes into the HX to 1 1/4 to get more BTU. I also increased my OWB to 190 degree. I am now reading 170 inside. I might increase outdoor to 195 but am going to see how this works. Makes you mental to not being efficient.

my OPB is set for 175* the water going into my HX is 175-178*, except when my thermostat is calling for heat. the OPB drops to 170 and then gets backup to 172* until the thermostat stops calling for heat. those last few degrees take quite a while to recover to 175.
my infrared thermometer says the top of the oil burner water loop hits 180*, not sure where this heat is coming from unless the wrap around pump motor is making the difference.
When the thermostat is calling for heat I see water leaving the HX at 165 to 160 depending on how long the circulator runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.