tempwood stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
with all the hoopla over EPA stoves today, you really want to sell non-EPA certed new stoves ? are you for real ?
sell all the stoves you want. when you sell stove 51, don't come crying when they slap the cuffs on you. there's not a single person here nor this webpage site, that would condone willingly breaking the law, no matter how strongly we disagree with it. that's just stupid. you need a reality check fella...

they have 67 smoke police in Washington State in one county, just to check chimney emissions ,and are issuing $1000 fines as I key this. we all know how regulated Mass. and Cape Cod are. who in their right mind is going to buy a new stove, they can eventually get nailed for dirty smoke emissions with in a place like that ? for that matter, there's no wood to cut and burn in Cape Cod. how much is a cord of wood there, $500 a cord ?

Seriously?
These shops make one or two or none of these stoves a year, and I am not one of them.
Furthermore, they are EPA compliant by design.

Please slow down and read what I posted. Tempwoods are efficient gassifiers.

That is why they are so popular here, where there is "no wood", because they use the least wood of any stove available.

For a place with no wood, I have an amazing amount in my backyard.

Just so you know, we have zero "smoke police" on Cape Cod, and you are extremely ignorant of both the Cape and Massachusetts as well.

We can do things here that can't be done in any other state. That is because we are so liberal, not in spite of it.

Hello everyone I am currently making tempwood stoves... we did go out of business but are slowly returning im starting the ul process and ive been burning the tempwood onsite for testing i am making firebricks for purchase please call with questions or feedback thankd Joe 413-743-0022

I respect the efforts to reproduce any vintage stove and low production run quantity to keep them legal from an EPA standpoint. These were unique stoves and worthy of being reproduced. My concerns were, it is very well possible to sell something like that to someone in a highly regulated area, and they end up being fined for using it. Such as Washington state.

I called the phone number on the OP, it rings ONE TIME, then stops. It's not a valid number, at least not anymore.

I emailed the site twice, no reply.

today, the Tempwood.com website domain just popped up as being "for sale" on google for $795.

see it here

http://www.hugedomains.com/domain_profile.cfm?d=tempwood&e=com

TempWood.com is for sale (Temp Wood)
Click here to buy TempWood.com for $795
Create a blog, promote your business, or build a site for your personal use.
Your web address is memorable and uniquely your own.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously?
These shops make one or two or none of these stoves a year, and I am not one of them.
Furthermore, they are EPA compliant by design.

Please slow down and read what I posted. Tempwoods are efficient gassifiers.

That is why they are so popular here, where there is "no wood", because they use the least wood of any stove available.

For a place with no wood, I have an amazing amount in my backyard.

I have a relative who lives on Cape Cod all his life. He's a commercial fisherman, for the past 30+ years. Has his own boat. I've been there visiting many times and have stayed there for at least a month total. It was one of the few places where I went on vacation, that I would not mind staying and living there. The summer tourist season is very crowded, but the off season is heaven to me.

It's a very SMALL place. I can drive from the bay side to ocean side in 5 minutes or less. There's not a lot of trees on Cape Cod that you are allowed to cut, everything is state park or national park or privately owned or posted. If you heat with wood, you'd need 10-12 acres minimum to replenish what you'd burn each year. Not many own 10 acres on Cape Cod, it's a high cost living area. You have been or will be buying wood, period. Whatever it costs here, double it there, as most supplies must be trucked in over the canal from the mainland. It's already $220/cord here. You will be paying $350-$400 a cord there. If not now, then soon. Or more. I've seen posts on the net where they were paying $375/cord in New England for wood, and the posts were 5 years old.

Wood is now $750/cord in California. See this is what happens when a central bank does QE for 5 years, it causes rampant inflation and distortions in the economy. One can easily go through 2 cords of wood in a month. Where's the savings ?

In the meantime, natural gas can heat your home for $250/month including the hot water, with no mess or wood to split, stack, no ashes, etc. The decision is obvious. It's an IQ test. At these prices wood burning is finished, unless the wood is free. To get free wood, you usually have to own the land. But then it's not really free, is it. Because then you have to pay the PROPERTY TAXES to keep the land.

see they have every angle covered.

I have access to free standing timber. Over 50 acres of it, we own the land. I can cut all I want. yet I don't use it. It would cost me equal or more than coal, once the up front support fuel costs are added in, and I'd have to do all the work. Then there's the time spent. Who works for free anymore ? Even a minimum wage job at McDonald's pays 7.50/hour. All the time spent getting the firewood, is for zero pay, and burning gasoline in the truck and chainsaw at 3.50/gallon. Then new chains, bar oil, tires on the truck. For what it costs for a decent chainsaw, I can heat my house for 2 years with coal.

alternate heating is slowly becoming- unaffordable !

the Tempwood stoves would never pass the new for 2014 emission tests for particulates. it takes a cat or secondary burn chamber to pass those tests. if it did pass, it would be on the EPA list of legal stoves to buy- it's not on the list. so that is just an incorrect statement, please see my previous post and read the EPA link. there are no Tempwoods legal from an EPA standpoint.

I think of wood heating as a last ditch heating method for SHTF scenario- when the strip mines close, and there is no coal. By then I'll have to protect the standing timber with a firearm so no one else takes it. I do have a few wood stoves. There's one in my parent's house hooked up that hasn't been burned since 1997.

Last edited by a moderator:
CoalCracker, I understand your concerns, but please take a deep breath:). This website is for fun, entertainment and information.

I agree...but we also have to live in the real world, not only the cyber world. The website link, phone number, email for these new Tempwood stoves is unresponsive, it appears to be unobtainable. Are you suggesting let the average reader assume, that these stoves are EPA legal, easily obtainable, and actually something that can be bought and used ? This venture appears to have not come to fruition. Do you agree, or ?

I mean, what if your son or daughter or mom clicked on the link, and tried to buy one. Would you let them install it in their house ? We have to be honest with ourselves here.

if not, then cat is spelled K-A-T, the earth if flat, and 1+1 = 3. it's all in fun, entertainment, and information

i.e. the "information" has to be true. no ?

I agree...but we also have to live in the real world, not only the cyber world. The website link, phone number, email for these new Tempwood stoves is unresponsive, it appears to be unobtainable. Are you suggesting let the average reader assume, that these stoves are EPA legal, easily obtainable, and actually something that can be bought and used ? This venture appears to have not come to fruition. Do you agree, or ?

I mean, what if your son or daughter or mom clicked on the link, and tried to buy one. Would you let them install it in their house ? We have to be honest with ourselves here.

if not, then cat is spelled K-A-T, the earth if flat, and 1+1 = 3. it's all in fun, entertainment,

Switch to decaf, if it appears to be unobtainable like you say, then don't worry. Nobody will buy it to "burn down their house."

I understand what the EPA is trying to do, but people for generations were burning wood before the EPA came along and not every stove installed burned down houses.
We had a non-EPA stove for years, cleaned the the chimney twice a winter and safely heated our house for years. It loved wood but the wood was free and I was free labor.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dune
I respect the efforts to reproduce any vintage stove and low production run quantity to keep them legal from an EPA standpoint. These were unique stoves and worthy of being reproduced. My concerns were, it is very well possible to sell something like that to someone in a highly regulated area, and they end up being fined for using it. Such as Washington state.

I called the phone number on the OP, it rings ONE TIME, then stops. It's not a valid number, at least not anymore.

I emailed the site twice, no reply.

today, the Tempwood.com website domain just popped up as being "for sale" on google for $795.

see it here

http://www.hugedomains.com/domain_profile.cfm?d=tempwood&e=com

TempWood.com is for sale (Temp Wood)
Click here to buy TempWood.com for $795
Create a blog, promote your business, or build a site for your personal use.
Your web address is memorable and uniquely your own.

I have no issues getting to the website - www.tempwoodstoves.com - no idea about contacting the manufacturer though.

I have a relative who lives on Cape Cod all his life. He's a commercial fisherman, for the past 30+ years. Has his own boat. I've been there visiting many times and have stayed there for at least a month total. It was one of the few places where I went on vacation, that I would not mind staying and living there. The summer tourist season is very crowded, but the off season is heaven to me.
I am sure I know your relative since I am also a commercial fisherman with my own boat, hand have fished here since 1978. There are very few fisherman on Cape Cod that I don't know.
I was born here.
It's a very SMALL place. I can drive from the bay side to ocean side in 5 minutes or less. There's not a lot of trees on Cape Cod that you are allowed to cut, everything is state park or national park or privately owned or posted. If you heat with wood, you'd need 10-12 acres minimum to replenish what you'd burn each year. Not many own 10 acres on Cape Cod, it's a high cost living area. You have been or will be buying wood, period. Whatever it costs here, double it there, as most supplies must be trucked in over the canal from the mainland. It's already $220/cord here. You will be paying $350-$400 a cord there. If not now, then soon. Or more. I've seen posts on the net where they were paying $375/cord in New England for wood, and the posts were 5 years old.
There is only one town where this is close to true, Wellfleet, but even there it takes much longer than five minutes. This can easily be proven from anywhere in the country by a google maps search. Exaggerations of this type do not help your credibility at all. Not that you have much left at this point anyway. Furthermore, I live in Yarmouth, but at the western end the Cape is much wider. It takes me an hour to drive to Falmouth. You are also incorrect about the National Seashore, it is entirely located on the Lower Cape. Chatham - Provincetown, the smallest segment of Cape Cod.
Wood is now $750/cord in California. See this is what happens when a central bank does QE for 5 years, it causes rampant inflation and distortions in the economy. One can easily go through 2 cords of wood in a month. Where's the savings ?

Another vast exaggeration. I burn 3 cord in an average winter, and at $4.00/ gal I would still save money, EVEN paying $750, but that is simply not the case here. The tree guy I do welding for sells oak for $250- $300 depending upon the time of years. He has hundreds of unsold cords in his yard.

More than once, I have gotten an entire years worth of wood from one yard where someone wants trees removed, during a single weekend. The only wood I ever bought was a cord of stove length green oak, delivered for $100. Since I returned to heating exclusively with wood in 2007 I have saved untold thousands of dollars. I am self-employed, firewood (my own) is a tax free part time job for me. I am just as opposed, if not moreso, to quantitative easing, but supply and demand drives prices, so, wrong again. Nice try though. You are quickly exposing your true purpose here.
In the meantime, natural gas can heat your home for $250/month including the hot water, with no mess or wood to split, stack, no ashes, etc. The decision is obvious. It's an IQ test. At these prices wood burning is finished, unless the wood is free. To get free wood, you usually have to own the land. But then it's not really free, is it. Because then you have to pay the PROPERTY TAXES to keep the land.

see they have every angle covered.
Ah, the true nature of your purpose here. By the end of this thread, you admit you burn no wood. In addition, you would use violent means to preserve "your" wood. (sorry but we belong to the land, it does not belong to us)

In this one statement you denigrate every single member of this forum. We all fail your IQ test because we burn wood. You are a paid corporate shill for fossil fuels, plain and simple. You are not the first one I have found here and exposed. Feel free to fall on your sword as the others chose to do.
Regardless, your opinion is meaningless, since you espouse the use of incredibly destructive heat sources (coal and Hyro-fracked gas) over benign and carbon neutral wood. Additionally, you do so in an argumentative and disrespectful manner.

The forum moderator already pointed out that the law disagrees with your premise, yet you continue unabated.
I have access to free standing timber. Over 50 acres of it, we own the land. I can cut all I want. yet I don't use it. It would cost me equal or more than coal, once the up front support fuel costs are added in, and I'd have to do all the work. Then there's the time spent. Who works for free anymore ? Even a minimum wage job at McDonald's pays 7.50/hour. All the time spent getting the firewood, is for zero pay, and burning gasoline in the truck and chainsaw at 3.50/gallon. Then new chains, bar oil, tires on the truck. For what it costs for a decent chainsaw, I can heat my house for 2 years with coal.
Again a lie. The most expensive chainsaw I ever bought was $80. I have cut dozens of cords of wood with it. After paying taxes on minimum wage, I can make far more money cutting my own firewood, tax free. Another bold faced lie. Please stop, at this point you are embarrassing yourself with your ignorant and untrue statements. Even those who choose to go the all new route find payback in less than 2 years.
alternate heating is slowly becoming- unaffordable !
Then why are you here?
the Tempwood stoves would never pass the new for 2014 emission tests for particulates. it takes a cat or secondary burn chamber to pass those tests. if it did pass, it would be on the EPA list of legal stoves to buy- it's not on the list. so that is just an incorrect statement, please see my previous post and read the EPA link. there are no Tempwoods legal from an EPA standpoint.
Again, read Brother Barts post. The EPA regulates large makers, not small, and they are UL listed, meaning you can safely use them in your house without worry of your insurance company denying benefits. You are wrong on all levels, yet you persist. Why?
I think of wood heating as a last ditch heating method for SHTF scenario- when the strip mines close, and there is no coal. By then I'll have to protect the standing timber with a firearm so no one else takes it. I do have a few wood stoves. There's one in my parent's house hooked up that hasn't been burned since 1997.

Then why are you posting here? You are opposed to wood heat, think it is impractical, that those who choose it are stupid, and support extremely destructive fossil fuel use. Did you even read the rules when you joined?

I assume you will be decent enough now to simply stop posting here, but if that is not the case, hopefully one of our good moderators will simply ban you because you simply do not belong here.

Reactions: Scols
Time to close this one up..........

Status
Not open for further replies.