Termites

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It sounds like a coyote issue. This winter go on a walk at the local parks. Look for scat filled with fur. Looks like a dog’s scat, but furry.

I’ve heard more coyotes yelping at night in the distance than any other year I’ve been in this house. Only actually seen one, on the edge of the woods.

It sounds like a coyote issue. This winter go on a walk at the local parks. Look for scat filled with fur. Looks like a dog’s scat, but furry.
No coyotes here, that I've ever seen. But your post reminds me that we either have bear, or a very large man in the neighborhood who doesn't like me, by the evidence I infrequently find on my driveway and back yard.

Good information in this thread. A few of the rough cut beams in my barn are riddled with powder post beetle holes. I see some dust on the ground to.

Does anybody have a recommendation on how to get rid of them. Is Timbor or Boracare a good solution ?

They are both good products. They are not available for consumer purchase here, but different states have different laws. Please read all instructions carefully so you get the right dosage and apply them correctly.

Reactions: sloeffle
You can spray a treatment such as Bora-care which has a low toxicity level compared to other treatments on all the wood. Not only does it soak in and last the life of the wood being a salt but it also helps against fungus. The chemical is disodium octaborate tetrahydrate. If pest control companies used this it would be a one time treatment. Fipronil is what you'd use for spot and ground treatments which is good for 10+ years when bound with soil.

Good information in this thread. A few of the rough cut beams in my barn are riddled with powder post beetle holes. I see some dust on the ground to.

Does anybody have a recommendation on how to get rid of them. Is Timbor or Boracare a good solution ?
I had the same problem on some timbers in my shop that I hewed out with a broad axe. I used Boracare ordered from Do it yourself
pest control. With a active infestation had to mix 1 to 1. I used a 4in. brush to apply. So far it has done the job.