Termovar proximity to chimney - is this to close?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrEd

Feeling the Heat
May 9, 2008
Rural New England
Hi guys.

Just a day or so away from a first fire, wrapping up the behind-the-tarm piping today and tommorrow.

Take a look at this picture, I am wondering if the closeness of the termovar s something I should be concerned about? I don't know how hot it will get from the heat of the chimney, but couldn't the chimney have the effect of 'tricking' the termovar into opening before it is actually ready?

Now is the time to move it, but don't want to if I don't need to. The back of the termovar is perhaps 5 inches from the base of the "T"

Comments appreciated...thanks!

Attachments

• _DSC0163.JPG
    _DSC0163.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 410
If you are worried about heat transfer from the vent to the valve,insulating either will solve the problem.

Are you subject to inspections from local building inspector or any other local agenciy
The reason for the question, is that I have been receiving alot of grief. that various that units that I am installing are not legal for use in Mass under 780CMR
of the state law.

JW said:
Are you subject to inspections from local building inspector or any other local agenciy
The reason for the question, is that I have been receiving alot of grief. that various that units that I am installing are not legal for use in Mass under 780CMR
of the state law.

What kind of problems are you running in to?

Status
Not open for further replies.