test moisture no meter.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

allhandsworking

Feeling the Heat
Sep 30, 2008
NYC
I season for a year. Observe checks and cracks and graying of splits. Then to test- I split in half and lay split on the inside of my forearm for about 2 seconds. I then remove the split from my arm. You can feel the dampness of the split if its not ready. Dry splits leave no damp feeling. I dont have a moisture meter so if anyone feels crazy enought to test my thiery I think many would appreceate it! Im dying to buy a meter but I just think its a toy that after one season I will throw in the draw! There must be an accurate way to tst without a meter. The thump method seems to work some what.

For the cost of the meter it's kinda hard to put too much thought into it. But the most accurate non-meter test is likely the weighing and cooking method. That one takes a lot of time though...

My $15 meter from Harbor Freight get's used two or three times a year just to keep track of how my stacks are doing. For less than the cost of a 30 pack of beer I think it's a pretty good tool to have...

Hey - what about the soap bubble test? no meter and fast too eh?

burn some that always tell's the story

Slow1 said:
Hey - what about the soap bubble test? no meter and fast too eh?

Sorry, I am giggling to myself thinking "hey wrap your lips around this and blow like heck. See if bubbles comes out of it"

I will NEVER do this test simply based on principle. :lol:

smokinj said:
Here,here. I have a fire ring, for those cool evenings, next to my stacks. This is the most satisifing method!

webby3650 said:
smokinj said:
Here,here. I have a fire ring, for those cool evenings, next to my stacks. This is the most satisifing method!

yes sir mine's been poping very nicely

I use the smell method. If it has a strong smell its not dry. I also use the bowling pin theory for sound.

Ditto on the smell and the knock, but I believe I can judge it just as well by the weight of it.

LLigetfa said:
Ditto on the smell and the knock, but I believe I can judge it just as well by the weight of it.
+1 you kinda just know what a good dry split should weigh when you grab it!

Status
Not open for further replies.